• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M4A79 Deluxe over-volting CPU vCore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

I have an interesting issue I've run into here.

Recently picked up an Asus M4A79 Deluxe motherboard, and during testing I noticed that it was applying much more voltage to the CPU than necessary as well as running very hot at around 46-48°C just sitting in the BIOS. As in, the VID of this chip is 1.35v, but the board is actually supplying it with 1.46-1.47v (fluctuating) when I have the voltage set to Auto and the CPU speed at idle.

I manually set it to 1.35v then thinking maybe it was an issue with the Auto setting, and still got 1.46-1.47v.

Then, I set it to 1.3v in the BIOS and ended up with 1.44v.

Finally lowered it to 1.225v and ended up with 1.34v.

So, it's got a .11v voltage increase/over-volt going on regardless of what setting is input to the BIOS.

Now, the CPU_OV jumper is set in normal mode, so it shouldn't be applying any additional voltage, and this board doesn't have an LLC (Load-Line Calibration) option in the BIOS. I can't figure out why the output voltage would be so high above the normal/default VID.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
What processor?...or it doesn't matter.
What bios?
Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition

Only one I've tried so far. I just pulled it out of my AM2 board and swapped it to this one for testing, since it was convenient (I knew where it was, it would take a bit of digging to find my other AM2/AM2+ processors).

BIOS is 0930 (which strangely is not listed on ASUS' website), not sure why.

Last edited:
Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition

Only one I've tried so far. I just pulled it out of my AM2 board and swapped it to this one for testing, since it was convenient (I knew where it was, it would take a bit of digging to find my other AM2/AM2+ processors).

BIOS is 0930 (which strangely is not listed on ASUS' website), not sure why.
I would most definitely try an updated bios first.

I updated the BIOS to the newest version.

At first it had no effect, but for some unknown reason after power-cycling the board a few times it started outputting the proper voltage to the CPU (or close enough). The VID is 1.35v, but I was getting 1.366v, so close enough for me. At least I don't have to compensate for it being .10v too high.

I had a similar thought after I posted this thread that the BIOS version might be the problem. I came to realize after I posted this that I hadn't actually checked to see what the newest version was. I'd just checked the CPU support list and found that the minimum version for support of my CPU was 0901 before I powered it up for the first time, so just figured everything would be okay.

Where did you get the board. I have one that is around 7 years old. I didn't think they were around anymore. Mine is dying. It gives me blue screens and sometimes won't boot. It gives me 1 beep followed by 3 shorts quick beeps.

Back