• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NZXT Sentry 3 help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gregers05

So I had a sentry 2 that crapped out and some of the functions stopped working.

So i decided, I would get the sentry 3 since the 2 lasted me 7 years or so.

Well, I get the Sentry 3 in and go to hook it up to the fan connectors and realize that the sentry 3 has the small 3 pin pmw connectors but my fans have the molex connectors. Fine, I order some adapters from the pmw to molex. Get it all hooked up, the fans turn on, but the controller does not recognize that there are 4 channels of fans plugged in. Why is it not letting me manually control the fans like it is supposed to?

Is it because I need the 3 pin PMW to 4 pin molex adapter instead of the 2 pin adapters I got?

This is extremely frustrating as I have had my computer taken apart on on the work table for over a week now. Should be a simple job, but has turned into a PITA. Help!

- - - Updated - - -

Also forgot to add that my two cpu cooler fans are Scythe and have the 3 pin small atx plug instead of the molex plug, those work fine when connected.

Last edited:
Is it because I need the 3 pin PMW to 4 pin molex adapter instead of the 2 pin adapters I got?

That's my guess. The 3rd wire is for RPM monitoring. It's possible the Sentry needs an RPM reading to detect the fans...
Now, I don't know if that will help since there's no RPM wire on molex plugs.

That's my guess. The 3rd wire is for RPM monitoring. It's possible the Sentry needs an RPM reading to detect the fans...
Now, I don't know if that will help since there's no RPM wire on molex plugs.

Im probably just going to swap out the 3 120mm case fans for ones that have PMW connectors. The big 200mm fan will just run at whatever it runs at when it has power.

Im probably just going to swap out the 3 120mm case fans for ones that have PMW connectors. The big 200mm fan will just run at whatever it runs at when it has power.

That works too. :)

Might I suggest Noctua's industrial fans?
Like this one? No more prosthetic leg colour!

That works too. :)

Might I suggest Noctua's industrial fans?
Like this one? No more prosthetic leg colour!

thanks for the recommendation. Would definitely look into that if NZXT wasnt giving me some fans for free...

...that being said, want to give a shout out to NZXT customer service/tech support. I emailed tech support asking if there was anything I could do to get my current fans to work with the Sentry. They said no, but instead offered to ship me 2 of their 120mm fans that are LED lit and would be compatible with the Sentry. I did not ask for the fans, it was just offered free of charge. In addition, they said they would overnight them because it was so close to the weekend they figured I would want to install them this weekend. Again, this is something that I did not ask for, but just done. Very few companies do this these days and I dont know that I have had a company ship me parts to fix and issue that wasn't really their fault. Most companies would tell you to pound sand. Very happy with them!

thanks for the recommendation. Would definitely look into that if NZXT wasnt giving me some fans for free...

...that being said, want to give a shout out to NZXT customer service/tech support. I emailed tech support asking if there was anything I could do to get my current fans to work with the Sentry. They said no, but instead offered to ship me 2 of their 120mm fans that are LED lit and would be compatible with the Sentry. I did not ask for the fans, it was just offered free of charge. In addition, they said they would overnight them because it was so close to the weekend they figured I would want to install them this weekend. Again, this is something that I did not ask for, but just done. Very few companies do this these days and I dont know that I have had a company ship me parts to fix and issue that wasn't really their fault. Most companies would tell you to pound sand. Very happy with them!

That's awesome to hear! :clap:

Good on ya NZXT!

Back