• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Direct Nic2Nic no longer connecting.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I had for quite a number of month now, a direct 4 port network connection between my main PC and my NAS. After shutting down my PC on Monday night, and turning it back on Tuesday morning, the 4 port Nics were no longer working with each other. At first, the iSCSI setup could not connect to the NAS. I was able to ping the IP addresses of the 4 ports, but still no connection would occur. I rebooted my PC a number of times, and still no luck. I eventually rebooted the NAS (it was probably close to a year it was running without a reset), and then I was no longer able to ping any of the ports. I thought maybe a one of the 4 port Nic's was going bad, but neither system or OS alerts to any hardware problems, they detect when the network cable is unplugged, and I'm able to ping the assigned IP addresses on their respective computers. They just will not communicate with each other at all and I'm at a loss on what to do next to figure out what the problem is. Any suggestions? :confused:

Try a different nic seeing as how it's not the cable. Making sure no network settings have changed of course.

Apparently, some network settings did change, and I have no friggin idea how or why. Somehow, the Nics in OpenIndiana had a statically set IP (which I had set myself long ago), but were showing up as in DHCP mode, with a assigned gateway. I changed them to back in napp-it to a Static setting, removed the gateway IP, reset the static IP (it went blank when changed to static), and all is now working fine.

Except for some reason in OpenIndiana's desktop, the network icon no longer appears, and the Network setting windows in the drop down menu refuses to open. :confused:

Back