• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Current state of folding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll be no match for your 4P pair, I've only got dusty hardware laying around. Maybe over the next few months as I convince the wife to let me buy some new toys. :)
Best bets are finding people getting out of bit coin mining and selling their AMD cards off cheap.

I just got back into folding not to long ago. I was out for a long time (college), but now I have a steady paycheck. At first I tried BOINC since I kinda bitter towards Panda group. Got an hd 7970 for $110 and ebay so I could crunch over 1 million ppd using the dual precision power. I crunched for hardocp who had a very helpful community. After a few weeks, I started hating it. Every project (collatz, milkyway, einsten) that I tried, has had problems. Now I am back on folding, and I am here to stay - the user controls are so much better and everything works great. Folding with my Acclero equipped HD7970 @ 1150 Mhz with no crashes so far.
Btw, good to have you back Jmtyra.

Welcome back to the fold (so to speak) Nihilus! It is good to have you back as well!

Hey Nihilus! :) Thank you, and welcome back as well! :)

Unfortunately I'm not putting out any PPD right now as we're about to start building a house. Although I do have a 'micro datacenter' planned with dedicated power and cooling so I can start collecting GPUs. :thup:

Hopefully in 6 months or so my numbers (and budget) will increase and we can start having fun.

Go Team 32!

:comp:

6 months you say? Ha! I am going to need 10 years at my current rate to catch you. Still miss the smp -bigadv days, but with bit mining mostly dead, I am excited with this GPU era. The builds will be more useful as well, unlike some of the crazy smp quad socket contraptions.

I just turned my desktop PC on & folding for the first time since spring of 2014 -- man, its been awhile. At the time I had a dual 6172 (if memory serves), and I ended up ditching it upon some 'news' from my doctor -- but I'm happy to report that my situation has at least stabilized, and having a portable AMD heater isn't such a bad thing.

I just turned my desktop PC on & folding for the first time since spring of 2014 -- man, its been awhile. At the time I had a dual 6172 (if memory serves), and I ended up ditching it upon some 'news' from my doctor -- but I'm happy to report that my situation has at least stabilized, and having a portable AMD heater isn't such a bad thing.
Welcome back to the fold!!

Glad to hear you are in good health again, folding does a body good as they say :)

After a few weeks, I started hating it. Every project (collatz, milkyway, einsten) that I tried, has had problems.

FAH has been fairly good the last while, but they have had their problems too. Boinc Rosetta has also been quite stable over the last year so if you ever want to try something different I would recommend our Rosetta team. A number of FAH people fold there as well.

Welcome back!!

Back