• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help new guy use laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dieyeng

My plasma took a dump after the last electrical storm and now I realize my laptop I got last xmas won't plat a bluray. I would just get a new tv, but now I have a saltwater fish tank I don't want to freak out the eels with the subs. I thought my laptop had a bd drive but it doesn't. Would anyone be kind enough to help me change out the drive in a HP 17-j178nr and get some software to make it work. Thanks in advance for any help

Normally it's pretty easy, only takes one screw from the bottom to remove the DVD drive from HP laptops, sometimes you have to remove the battery to be able to remove the tray covering the ram and HDD/HDDs to get tot he screw to remove the drive. HP actually has some pretty decent how-to for this sort of stuff this manual should be for your laptop.

I agree with ATM though for a temporary fix an external would be best, you can pick one up just about anywhere and it should come with software to watch BD content. Sometimes HP is slow on sending out items, took me three weeks to get the HD accessary kit so I could install a second drive in this DV7-7000 I have, it had to come from china. If it's still under warranty call their support line and order it through them, make sure to ask where it will be shipped from, they should be able to tell you.

Normally it's pretty easy, only takes one screw from the bottom to remove the DVD drive from HP laptops, sometimes you have to remove the battery to be able to remove the tray covering the ram and HDD/HDDs to get tot he screw to remove the drive. HP actually has some pretty decent how-to for this sort of stuff this manual should be for your laptop.

I agree with ATM though for a temporary fix an external would be best, you can pick one up just about anywhere and it should come with software to watch BD content. Sometimes HP is slow on sending out items, took me three weeks to get the HD accessary kit so I could install a second drive in this DV7-7000 I have, it had to come from china. If it's still under warranty call their support line and order it through them, make sure to ask where it will be shipped from, they should be able to tell you.

The problem with replacing the drive in the laptop is that you have to find a drive made specifically for that laptop.
With the external, you can use it any time.

If you're planning to watch while traveling, make an image of the disc and put it on the internal storage.

Back