• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2014 Mac mini specs Q

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I know it's a Mac but since I'm wanting to run a front end what does the OS really matter? After having used windows since 3.1 I broke down and got a MacBook Pro and love it. My gateways and sony vaios plus windows 8 just ruined it all for me.

Anyway I've had a laptop running for a couple years as a htpc and overall doing a good job but there's a few issues I've had with it and frankly it might need to go. I was thinking of picking up a new model Mac mini to use as a htpc. I do everything via streaming and don't need anything else. From the hardware standpoint I'm sure what the real difference or importance is of graphics. The base model has Intel hd 5000 and the middle has Intel Iris. From a hardware standpoint is there any reason an Intel hd 5000 wouldn't work just fine? Is there any difference in visual quality or playback abilities?

Just looking for some info thanks for the help

I do everything via streaming and don't need anything else

Assuming your talking about netflix, hulu, etc. Why not go with a Apple TV?

To answer your question, any mac mini will suit your needs just fine.

I just bought an HP stream mini for less than $200 and it does everything I need it to.

Back