• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade monitor in future.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bion1985

Registered
So I currently have this one http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S24D300HL-23-6-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00IEZH06K have had it for 3-4 years maybe and its worked pretty well. But not that I have done a recent overhaul and built a much better pc I would like a display to go along with the fancy new machine. I am thinking of staying in 1080p gaming highest res I might be interested in is 1440p but I know as resolution go's up usually so does cost. Thinking when I am in the market I will be looking to spend around $250-$300. Monitors are something I never quite understood the more complicated specs only knew that basics. Is the one I currently have even worth the upgrade or should I stick with it for 1080p. Honestly I think 1080p looks good enough I just know I hear a lot of people talking about refresh rates and the millisecond delays and I get lost. Any info would be great should I upgrade or stick with this one? If I should upgrade whats a good 1080p screen and also a good 1440p screen?

thanks
Brandon

I'd say to get a nice 1440p screen, it'll let that 980Ti have some fun!

I needed a new monitor.My old 28" was starting to flicker. I ended up buying a Acer XB270HU for 800.00. That was more then I wanted to pay but its one of the better models. I wasn't in the market for a video card but since I got a killer monitor I figured I might as wall get GTX980ti to complete the package. Fun cost money so why not.

I know I didn't answer any of your questions but I thought I'd give you my 2cents

Typically the best in that price range is QNIX.
Check out reviews on TFTCentral for monitors though.

Just did a quick search on the QNIX monitors so they are one of the Korean model monitors on the market. So seen some people have pixle issues, how common is that? Also will they still perform well at 60hz? Seen they are overclockible but it seems a bit confusing

Is the overclock like a simple one click thing? I saw a video but if was a year or two old and he had to do stuff with the drivers and a bunch of other stuff to make it 96hz also even had a little stress test he had to run from the looks of it.

You go into the drivers, set a custom resolution at that frequency, then test.
It's not "one click", but it is simple.

Yeah, it's nothing too difficult.
When you get the monitor, we can help you.

The qc of the Koreans and some peoples reviews kinda scare me. Seem like if you get a good one your all set but I've seen people complain of screen bleed being real bad and they had to dissamble the screen to fix it. Is that Acer one I linked a good quality for gaming?

Like I said, check the TFTCentral review for monitors you're considering

So thoughts on this one? ASUS PB278Q 27-Inch WQHD LED-lit Professional Graphics Monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009C3M7H0/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_7MkOvbG2WVZY0

It's 1440p 75hz it says. Also if this might be dumb question but would going to 1440p effect my oc temps.

27 inch seems to be a nice sweet spot for most gamers, myself included. I also feel based on what I've learned recently that 1440p is the sweet spot for resolution for most people.

I understand you have your budget but if you would consider going much much over that budget and also getting gsync at the same time, it will make your gaming experience far more enjoyable.

I myself am waiting to choose between one of these two upcoming beasts.

http://www.acer.com/predator/en_US/predator_xb1.html

or

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG279Q/

Yes they are pricey but you do want that 980 to actually do what it's supposed to do right?

You mentioned that your knowledge in monitors is minimal, so is mine but one thing I want to mention is that IPS is better than TN for quality and these two new monitors are both using IPS panels and a pretty low refresh rate to go with it.

Just a thought,

Happy gaming :D

Back