• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Fury (non-x) review/discussion thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
I can't wait to see the overclocking support catch up so we can see what the cards are capable of with HBM.

Looks interesting since it's not much slower than Fury X. I wonder how AMD will improve drivers and if anyone make these cards OC much higher. Right now we see almost stock results. Still great for gamers and I bet that AMD cares much more about them than about extreme overclockers which can count in less than 1% of all users ;)

The sapphire takes the cake from what I've seen. It is incredibly quiet even under load and runs cooler than the asus.

Is the Fury worth the price premium over the GTX980 ($549 vs $499) ? Based on the linked reviews, it is faster, but does not really blow the 980 out of the water. Couple that with lackluster overclockabilty and you have a rather tepid offering. I think the AMD cards are overpriced by about $75+. I'm due an upgrade and this has left me a bit disappointed.

Is the Fury worth the price premium over the GTX980 ($549 vs $499) ? Based on the linked reviews, it is faster, but does not really blow the 980 out of the water. Couple that with lackluster overclockabilty and you have a rather tepid offering. I think the AMD cards are overpriced by about $75+. I'm due an upgrade and this has left me a bit disappointed.
If you value load noise then the Sapphire Tri-X is definitely worth the cost. Its load noise is on par with the idle noise of Nvidia cards.
75699.png

I would agree with you on all points. You can also begin to see 980s on sale for around 475 too

that sounds about right. it's awesome how far they're come and hbm is really cool but they seem to be just a little bit too proud considering actual results of the new technology. it should be the same price as the gtx 980 since it's only like 5% better and doesn't really overclock. also, as sad and lame as this seems, there's always that thing in the back of the mind that there are a few games here and there that won't look quite as good because they use physx or whatever so that's another ding against ati even if the reason for it is complete bs (THANKS NVIDIA). I think it's time for ati to bite the bullet and hire some bright young minds to completely redo their drivers from the ground up. this crap has been haunting them since forever.

GTX980 Strix is really quiet like you barely hear it in closed case. Even ASUS 290X Matrix is quiet what I wasn't expecting. If GTX980 Strix is quiet then Fury in any version can be only similar in generated noise what means that only performance and overclocking can decide which one is better option. Fury is barely overclocking while even the worst GTX980 can make 150-200MHz more on core and 200-500MHz on memory. Right now many people are selling GTX980 so can grab good series with warranty in reasonable price.

AMD drivers are weird. Sometimes all is working fine but on some graphics cards many games have more or less issues. Usually higher graphics series = more issues what is also weird as manufacturer should care about their premium priced products. I had no problems with any lower series AMD cards in last ~5 years while I had a lot of problems with every higher series. The same all these black screens and vertical stripes are appearing mainly on high end series like 7970, 280x, 290x etc.
Nvidia recently is not releasing perfect drivers either but in general you can always find quite new version which is working good. With AMD it's not so easy.

Back