• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best ram for overclocking 800mhz ddr2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1033ruben

Registered
as per title i am looking to buy me some new ram. i have an asrock p5b-de mobo with a xeon x5470 cpu right now i have 8gb of patriot ram but there seems to be some incompatibility issues with the ram i have. so im looking to either get crucial ballistix or MUSHKIN extreme.u see the thing right now with my system is that i can get 400 on the fsb but anymore than that and my system wont even boot. and even so at the 400 fsb i cant run the intel burn test for more than a few minutes without getting an error or prime without having at least one of the workers stopping. and i know it isnt a heat problem because i have an Antec 950 water cooler on my cpu. and plus after buying my ram i started to read reviews where they said there were compatibility issues with (my board) Intel's 965 chipset. also i cant even raise the fsb by 1mhz when i have the ram at its rated timings which is 800mhz 4-4-4-12 and when set to auto the mobo chooses the ram to be 667mhz and the timings are at 5-5-5-10. and i have read reviews where my particular ram will overclock to 1067mhz at the more lax timings of 5-5-5-15. so any advice would be great.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
RUBEN

4x2GB is the hardest configuration for memory overclocking on 775, I'd change at least the board if I was you. You can forget about overclocking this amount RAM on such an old chipset. LGA775 is nice to overclock, when you have 2x1GB :D Even 2x2Gb sometimes is tough.

I just got DDR2-1066 and ran it on a lower strap while fine tuning timings little by little for few weeks. 400FSB is quite hard for the mobo and it really wouldn't surprise me if you simply cannot run that high.

What sort of PC is this on? Is it your main PC or a backup PC you just want to have a little fun overclocking with?

well i never had an issue with 4x1gb sticks on my abit p35 pro board, did 400mhz+ fsb no problem. now the cpu thats another question, max quick run for superpi was 4.5ghz.

What sort of PC is this on? Is it your main PC or a backup PC you just want to have a little fun overclocking with?

it is my main pc but i am tryiing to get the most that i can out of it as right now i can play C.O.D. AW but on medium to high settting but i would very much like to be able to play on high to ultra settings.

- - - Updated - - -

max quick run for superpi was 4.5ghz.
not sure what this is or means specifically the ssuperpi part
THANKS
RUBEN

Back