• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A much needed upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

Well I've been out of the loop for a long time and I'm finally going to upgrade from the setup in my sig. I would like some advice since it has been a while and I haven't really kept up on the technology lately. I've built a bunch of work rigs but those were all budget builds so I was limited on funds which limited my choices.

I would like a moderate upgrade, nothing crazy because I don't bench or overclock anymore, I just want a nice stable build for some FPS gaming (BF4) and some light encoding on occasion. I also use CAD software (Gibbscam, Mastercam, & Solidworks) so that's a factor as well. I have been diagnosed with a life changing illness and will be home a lot lately so I will be using the computer a lot and will be working from home pretty soon for a while. I'm just looking to upgrade the CPU, Motherboard, and Memory for now and will use the rest of my components in my sig. I would like to keep the budget around $1000. but will spend more if need be. This is what I have picked out so far, what are your thoughts?
Thank you for any insight and suggestions! :thup:

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117403
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130795
Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313519

Well I've had some pretty rough treatments and surgeries over the past few months and was not able to do anything with my upgrade. I've been reading a lot lately and was wondering if I should go with a Skylake and the 1151 socket or would the socket 2011-V3 be a better upgrade? Looks like all the i7 Skylake cpus are out of stock everywhere. This next surgery is going to keep me out of work for a few months so now is going to be a good time to get this thing built and finally upgrade my aging PC! I tend to keep my setups for a long time now so I don't mind spending more for longevity, I just want to make sure I'm spending good money in the right place.

EDIT: Here's what I was thinking.... http://pcpartpicker.com/p/C9xYjX

Last edited:
unless you have a microcenter near you then it might be better to go x99, pretty much every single store raised the prices on the skylakes due to shortages
I am assuming you do heavy cad work based on the programs listed

unless you have a microcenter near you then it might be better to go x99, pretty much every single store raised the prices on the skylakes due to shortages
I am assuming you do heavy cad work based on the programs listed

Yeah I just noticed that! I have a microcenter about an hour away in Boston but I think I might be leaning towards the X99, it's more expensive but probably more future proof. I don't do a lot of CAD work from home anymore but I do on occasion so it's nice to have the power to do so.

If you're not going to run multiple GPU's then don't waste money on the 5930K.

I would go for the X99 Extreme4 personally.

the sli on the 5820k would be configured as

card 1 16x
card 2 8x
card 3 4x

sli on the 5930k

card 1 16x
card 2 16x
card 3 8x

you also need to pay attention to the boards because alot of boards dont even have more then two 16x sots
my board only has two 16x and the other two are 8x
that asrock board only has two 16x, one slot is 8x, and another is only 4x

Oy. Sell those power hogs and grab 2 980 tis. 2gb of vram gaming on 3 1440p monitors???

They're 4GB version and I was trying to avoid buying any GPUs at this time. I will upgrade them at some point but I was really looking to spend my money on a new platform first.

Yeah id wait on the gpu purchase too wait for the gtx 1000 series as you're not starving for video performance right now anyhow and if you want the extra power for the CAD work 5930K for the additional pcie lanes for the graphics you have now and any other add in cards you might be using or want to use.

They're 4GB version and I was trying to avoid buying any GPUs at this time. I will upgrade them at some point but I was really looking to spend my money on a new platform first.
Sorry... 4gb of vram on 3x 2560x1440 monitors??? :p

I can smell 4gb in a couple of titles with ONE 1440p monitor. Most are between 2 and 3 gb. That said, lowering some IQ settings and it would be better.

Sorry... 4gb of vram on 3x 2560x1440 monitors??? :p

I can smell 4gb in a couple of titles with ONE 1440p monitor.
LOL!!! I know, I actually tried playing surround in BF4 with this setup! I think I saw the lights dim every time I pulled the trigger!

Yeah id wait on the gpu purchase too wait for the gtx 1000 series as you're not starving for video performance right now anyhow and if you want the extra power for the CAD work 5930K for the additional pcie lanes for the graphics you have now and any other add in cards you might be using or want to use.

You're going to recommend to everyone to wait 6mo or more before buying aren't you?

SLI 680's don't even come close to what a single 980 can do. Even 3x of them would be hard pressed to match a 980 in most titles, especially at his resolution.
And a 980Ti is even a good jump from that.

I would say it's 100% worth it to upgrade now.

Back