• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking FX-8370 on a M5A99FX PRO 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OverStock

Registered
So I've messed with the multiplier and voltage a few times and have had no luck, even with low settings (4.4, .4.5). I may have been just putting in bad numbers for voltage though. Pretty much every attempt has froze on prime the second i started. Most of the time it wouldn't even post and had to reset cmos. Not sure whats going on, but I'm starting to think the problem might be my power supply. Especially because I just got a Kraken x61 and I may of been pushing it a tiny bit before that when i got my 290x. Its a Seasonic 620w and when i just put my info in the extreme power supply calculator it came up with 645w without any overclock and 679w with a 4.5 at 1.4v. I heard they kinda exaggerate the wattage you need in case you get a bad psu, but I'm not sure how much that means. Any ideas on what is happening?

Edit: those wattage's from the calculator are the recommended, the minimums are 595w and 629w for no overclock and overclocked to 4.5 @ 1.4v.

By the way I was running a fx4100 @ 4.5ghz with 1.435v 2400 NB and HT Link for a while before I got this 8370 and had no problems but when i got the 8370 and tried to OC it with some basic settings with multiplier and voltage i had no luck at all so just kinda gave up and left it for a while until I got this Kraken x61 and now I of course want to put it to good use, but no. :-/ Here is the thread where I overclocked the 4100 in case it would be of any value. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/743731-Help-with-overclocking-fx-4100

Oh and one more thing, when I first got the 8370 I accidentally turned the computer on with just the heat sink and no fan and got some error (probably the fan error) and then restarted it and tried again and got the same error and finally realized the fan wasn't on lol. :clap: Do you think that caused any real harm to the cpu for being on for a total of a minute maybe? Also when I took out the 8370 to clean it before putting the kraken in I noticed all around the edge of the cpu, part of it looked kind of like grinded in a way, like abrasion? Almost like it had melted the metal a tiny bit is what my mind thought right off the bat. Any idea if that's normal at all or should it be completely smooth around the metal edge on every cpu?

And lastly here are some pics of the temps on default bios. I have some more at stock settings all manually entered in with boost and cool and quiet and all that stuff off. And speaking of which, should Advanced power managment be disabled when testing, and what about EPU (I think those are the initials, maybe not)? Was just thinking they may of had an effect on things if they were enabled or disabled.

Default bios - 45 minute prime blend

prime blend 45 mins.png

cpuz.png

cpuz mem.png

cpuz spd.png

Last edited:
APM disabled.

Take a minute and set your ram up, at least to stock specs. Too loose for me to even look at. :p

Ha! Yeah I was gonna do that eventually but since i wasn't getting anywhere with the overclock i just figured that would put more stress on the cpu and also wasn't exactly sure if that would mess with any other numbers that I'd then have to change with the overclock.

Edit: Maybe it would actually help though? Since blend works the memory too?

Borrowing Volts from RGone and power calculation for my system FX-8370 4.8ghz 1.440v, you're doing something wrong :)

attachment.php.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

your good on the psu, you're just going about it all wrong, set it all back to stock, set the ram to the correct values, turn leave all the green stuff off, make one change at a time from stock, raise the multi .5 and retest.

Your mobo should handle a FX 8xxx at stock speeds , but it will start to be the weak link for OC. Even with my FX 6350 that mobo maxes out at 4500 MHz , stable at 4400 MHz no matter where I set the voltage (within the chip's limits). I may have a weak CPU , but under load I just can't keep the voltage stable when I go past 4400. I can see it being pulled down on CPU Z. The only way I can feed it enough to keep the minimum voltage high enough is to set it so high it would fry the chip on anything less than 6 cores at 100 %. And the fluctuations can't be good for it either. The northbridge is going to start making some real heat with an 8 core , too.

Your mobo should handle a FX 8xxx at stock speeds , but it will start to be the weak link for OC. Even with my FX 6350 that mobo maxes out at 4500 MHz

That is about the correct cpu speed at which even the PRO board begins to have problems according to some around here that have had such board and tried to really push it and still have actual tested stability.

RGone...

That is about the correct cpu speed at which even the PRO board begins to have problems according to some around here that have had such board and tried to really push it and still have actual tested stability.

RGone...

Count me among them. The best advice I can come up with for the OP is 'Sabrekitty' or Crosshair. I can run 4400 MHz with no voltage bump , but can't get 4450 MHz stable no matter what I do. Asus about cornered the market on big OC on the FX chips , and that market starts one level above our boards.

Asus about cornered the market on big OC on the FX chips , and that market starts one level above our boards.

Well in the Asus lineup on air and regular water, the big clocks certainly seem tied to the two big-gun motherboards and I guess rightly so since they have the big-boy VRM circuits. I guess there maybe another side to that coin that most don't get and that is that AiO cooling in general and cheap air cooling won't handle the heat beyond 4.4Ghz or so anyway. So you can buy the big-boy boards and weak cooling and still be stopped about 4.4GHz or close thereto.

RGone...

I've heard that enough about the 8 cores to take it as gospel-even if I hadn't heard it from you. Your testimony makes it The Way Things Are as far as I'm concerned. My 6350 didn't show any signs of overheating at 4500 MHz. It also didn't show any signs of stability long enough to find out if it would overheat. The VRM heat sink definitely got warmish to "That may not be good". BUT , my chip , on this board , won't go over 4400 MHz no matter what voltage I try to throw at it , so I don't have any hard data on the temps. I consider it lucky that it steams away at 4400 with the voltage on auto and the LLC at whatever the default is. If it won't go higher than that it's nice to have it at least do 4400 the easy way. :)

I don't think AMD guarantees X overclock. In fact you void your warranty the second you do it (not that they would know right?)....

Buy a big clock chip, can't cool it stock, it'll throttle.

Buy a low end chip and it's not stable.

Who's happy?

Bet I could get your chip to do well over 7ghz on a sub 50$ 760G chipset though..... on LN2.

I don't think AMD guarantees X overclock. In fact you void your warranty the second you do it (not that they would know right?)....

Buy a big clock chip, can't cool it stock, it'll throttle.

Buy a low end chip and it's not stable.

Who's happy?

Bet I could get your chip to do well over 7ghz on a sub 50$ 760G chipset though..... on LN2.

Of that I have no doubt. I'm seriously considering Intel for my next build , much as it pains me to do so. If AMD doesn't come up with something really impressive in the next year or so I don't see much choice if I want a truly modern rig. *sigh* At this point I can't justify the cash outlay for a Sabrekitty or CH board for what may be a dud chip. The 6350s don't have the best reputation for OCing , and with a good (read:expensive) board , I'd be back to playing the silicon lottery until I find one that justifies the cost of a board I bought specifically to OC , and that merry go round can get pricey. Currently , a X99 Sabretooth and 5820K can be had for around $700 and will positively destroy anything in AMD's lineup. I could easily spend that looking for 4.9 GHz in a Team Red chip that would get it's a$$ handed to it by a 4.2 GHz Haswell. And the Haswell would probably be plug and play at that speed.

It's not about AMD vs Intel here. That you and many many many others need to start understanding.

Matter of personal preference. Why? Well my sig cpu renders lands during benching between a 3770K and 4770K at stock. No OC on any of them. And what I mean about rendering is running cinebench.

Then you look at unzipping. Well I've yet to see an Intel do it as fast as AMD. Fact of the matter is I waited for the 3770K longer than my AMD chips even medium to low end FX chips.

Then I get this badda$$ Intel 3770K and get dissapointed by loosing Epeen per single core performance just to run 8 threads while my AMD chip kept it's single core performance while running 8 physical cores.

Let's not mention the reference clock fails on Intel chips. They are just not as fun to tweak and overclock like they once where years ago.

300$ for a quad with a hyper feature to have 8 threads.... or buy AMD OC the **** out of it.... while having 8 REAL cores..... not "threads"

Uhg.... how many times do I read my Intel i7 XXXX plays games this well with my GTX960, while I could just get a GTX 980 with saved moneys from buying AMD and spank FPS rates on the Intel rig because ... "Ohhh my Cpu is faster, but my GPU sux while I didn't spend the moneys on GPU, instead I spend moneys on CPU"

Big F'n deal really.

I waited for the FX-9590 to come down in price to have certain things that appealed to me personally. Intel doesn't appeal that much to me either, much like many people here in the AMD section.....

Funny how as we wait for AMD to "DO" something big and spectacular, I watch the Intel guys that seem to have fat wallets buy Intel Cpu after Intel CPU upgrading and upgrading and upgrading.....

But now sit back and notice, Cpu mhz are getting lower.... Not faster. The newest line up from Intel are still only sitting at 3ghz 3.3ghz area. This was a trend predicted many many many years ago. You get more cores/threads.... but with less actual speed.

In the market where numbers sometimes matter, I remember when Intel's slower than AMD processors boasted big Mhz but couldn't touch AMD. It was a marketing gimmick.

I plan to move to Intel again..... just for the heck of it really. Not bored. Don't really like the lack of OC features, but just to run a 14nm chip vs 32nm. In my eyes, the AMD processors are more interesting for overclocking.

On a side note about your FX-6300 builds, it's not the motherboard or Cpu you bought, but the lack of cooling, or chilling if you will. Get it really cold, 7ghz plus is not a problem. Look at Intel, 7 ghz is a dream chip and 8 ghz happens less often. (never anymore) You look at 8ghz validations, Intels 8ghz chips are generations old. Talking Celeron 352 holds the highest Intel record. That's a s775 chip. 06' to be exact. many generations old now..... Intel is kinda behind the WR speed record really. Top 5 WR speed records, AMD holds 4 of them.

Haswell.... oh a whopping 7181mhz, I can ***** that out on 50$ motherboard and the lowest FX quad any old day.... probably on Dry Ice.

Ivy Bridge... oh gosh that's 7200 and some odd Mhz. Big deal.

There's guys running AMD on SS and Cascade DAILY. at 6500mhz and beyond, AMD humps monkey nuts.

Love AMD - don't get why? read it again.

Last edited:
There's guys running AMD on SS and Cascade DAILY. at 6500mhz and beyond, AMD humps monkey nuts.
:rofl:

I love AMD , and I don't really like Intel. Lots of reasons , and you're right about personal preference. But I don't plan on LN2 , or even DICE , I'm looking at casual OCing just cause I can. If I hit 7 GHz with any chip I'm reaching for a fire extinguisher. I'm also concerned about Intel's overall shortage of PCI lanes until you drop $ 1100 on an 8 core. I have been under the impression that Intel may not have "bang for the buck" but they have a bigger bang on the high end. Either way , my upgrade is going to require a new mobo because if I do stay with AMD , my current one ain't gonna keep up with the program. Which brings me back to the OP. Will that board support octo core overclocking for him , without the LN2 or drastic VRM cooling ? Or even with it ?

Oh , BTW Shrimpbrime. I may be pestering you and RGone for some help on OCing my current rig (on AIO cooling) if you think I can step it up some.

OverStock...

...we really took your thread off out into the woods. Sorry.

I am going to show what we need to see and within the images or between them are HOW we suggest you set up to run P95 Blend mode and pursue your initial overclock. Things to DISable and settings to Windows Power Manager.

In bios set multiplier to 20x and then test with P95 Blend as outlined and setup below. Temps are mentioned to keep a watch on.

RGone...

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Step by Step HowTo Attach files to forum with pictures.
HowTo Attach Files to the forum.

There seems to be a common misunderstanding with O\Cing the FX8370.
In the chart provided by Kenrou, you will notice a trend between the voltages of the 8350 and the 8320.
The 8350 can achieve the same overclocks as the 8320 at lower voltages. And this trend continues with the 8370.
By using that chart, I have successfully o\c my 8370 on my ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2 past 5 ghz!

I started out trying to find a stable setup for super stable 4.6mhz at lower voltages without increasing ratio at all, until I nailed it down.
Then I did bumped the ratio to "21" at stock voltages(@4.536mhz) to continued to 4.7, 4.8 with incremental voltage increases while also increasing CPU Bus speeds all the way up to 226mhz(and beyond) until I finally arrived at a completely 100% Stable 4.935mhz.

At this point to go beyond 5mhz, I once again started at stock voltages. Bumped my core to a Ratio of "22"(which takes it to 4.752 mhz) then increased the CPU Bus Frequency to 228mhz with a CPU voltage 1.41250v and achieved a O\C of 5.083mhz.

For 5.175 mhz I first bumped the Ratio to 22.5(@4.860mhz) at stock voltages and then increased the CPU bus. Freq to 230 @ 1.43750v and the CPU/NB Freq to 1.38125v Which is pretty stable but not quite perfectly sorted out yet. It will take a bit more tweaking of CPU & NB Voltages, But it's real close... I can play MWO for multiple games before it craps out randomly, so I know it close.

And I have so far been able to find semi stable settings for 5.175mhz & 5.217mhz which I can also game on but are yet to be perfected and can crash randomly after several rounds of gaming.

Because of my systems Corsair H115i AIO and the HX100i PSU, I believe I will eventually find stable settings for up to 5.5mhz.
So far, my rig has never gone beyond a high temp setting that the IAO hasn't been able to handle and has never gotten beyond 60c at performance settings.
The trick is to do this in a cool environment. My office is kept below 20c with all case fans on high.

P.S.>>> I have been told by many "EXPERTS" that my IAO Corsair 115i and HX1000i PSU was OVERKILL...
But I knew I was intending to O\C the snot out of my system and I went with overkill in mind!
I saw it as insurance to have an 98% efficient PSU and "Crazy" CPU cooling so that I could play with all that available "HEADROOM", and it has worked perfectly for me.
Room Temp is of Paramount Importance! Keep your room door open and don't allow the ambient temp to climb because that IAO will dump heat into the room and turn it into a convection oven. Even though Ryzen is now out, I intend to wait until next Christmas to make that jump. Mostly because I expect the prices to go down and stabilize(retailers have inflated their prices to keep it more inline with INTEL's costs, but they will come down to where AMD stated it will before Christmas of 2017.
Plus I expect more BIOS updates, Ram prices dropping and My target Mobo ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO I suspect will be going to a REVISION 2 just like my current M5A99FX PRO did in it's second year.... At least then all the High memory issues will be solved and more games than can make use of all those cores and thread will be available...

Cheers!

Haldimand isn't far from where I grew up in Norfolk.
Not to be a downer but without better cooling I highly doubt that 5.5 GHz is in the cards for your system. It appears thast you're using gaming to test your your overclock which most times really isn't that stressful and these random crashes will eventually corrupt your Windows install.

Back