• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston ssdnow 300 v 120gb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

irekski

Need help on this one. My write speeds are pretty weak for an SSD any tips on how to increase it?
Untitled.png
any help is appreciated. and this would be my first time to use and SSD btw... thanks in advance :)

Run atto and post that result atto is what should be close to it's rated specs.

Also, if thus is running on an amd system it will be slightly slower.

Hi there.

The first screenshot shows a slow speed for a SSD, but the second one displays a rather good one. What I would suggest is to change the parameters in CrystalDisk - in the All section change from 1 to let's say 5, and select a bigger file (2-3 GiB for instance) as well, and after that rerun the test and see what the results will be.

Let us know how it went. :)

I have the same ssd, don't get freaky deaky about benchmarks, it's a lot faster than your old spinner......

Ive read some poor remarks about this ssd but I agree with caddi - it's a lot faster than a platter. The comment I read (paraphrased) was that these were the bottom of the line ssd. I've never benched the read/write speeds (would even know where to start with that actually) but it's been working fine. I'm only mentioning this because I wonder if maybe the OP isn't comparing the results from this ssd to a Samsung 840-850, and that's why he feels it's running sluggish?

They are 'at the bottom' because they bait and switched customers. When the drive first came out it ran at XXX/XXX speeds. However they switched NAND(?) and the writes dropped pretty dramatically (IIRC - search for what happened) but they didn't update their specs or inform the consumer. So while it is faster than a platter, ANY SSD is. The point is who would want to support a true bait and switch like that?

Well I guess I just try to stay out of the consumer /manufacturer war as much as possible, for starters. The only lyrics option I have is to deny my patronage - which most of the time has little results. See my posts in the "legit windows" thread.

I do think that is a disreputable thing for a company to do, but in the end it's the quality of their product that they should be held accountable for. It is nice to know that there are "good versions" of this product out there, so that I can try to find those instead of the "bad"

There probably aren't any "good" versions left in retail, this all happened early last year.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand

If you want to read about it. Frankly, it's still a good bit better than any mechanical drive, and you wouldn't notice much difference switching to the newer drives unless you do a lot of large file transfers, and even then it will have to be from a high throughput source like a raid array or another ssd to cap oit the kingston write speed.

ASSD.PNG apparently I got the German version of this software.... :)

I got curious about my firmware after following the links and got 538abbf0 in Crystal Disk Mark. This isn't any of the ones listed in the articles (which I know to be ancient in tech years). All I wanted to know was if I had one of the original NAND versions (figured I could tell by the firmware). Do you guys think this is a revision in firmware or even perhaps a new iteration of this drive? Is there a different tool I should use?

Back