• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Athlon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nah. Most of my socket A's have no pads on them at all. Just have to be careful when you do your mount. ;)

As in extra careful - The die surface is rather small compared to most others I've seen and yes it is the same concept and works the same way.
However many simply don't have the experience to go about doing that with an A without getting it wrong, that's more or less how I killed the Pally long ago and learned the hard way over it. I can do it now and it does take practice to develop a feel whether the cooler/block is truly on the die properly. Even now I have to be careful with my de-lids when setting up my block to use with it and I've been doing it for awhile now.

Not arguing the point, just saying it would be best if those pads were there vs not. Although it can be done routinely by many of us, for those that haven't learned the skill (Yet) all it takes is getting it wrong just once to kill a chip.

Just sayin.

Very much agree with you Bones. Looking at sA and the actual size and shape of the silicone, them pads help a great deal putting down a heat sink or water block evenly.

I know them sA's won't post unless you have a good seat. That's where I learned many lessons with cooling a naked processor.

Shims. TweakMonster was the big seller back then. Think I still have a few. I never use them.

Back