• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Deciding Between 2 x R9 Fury X or 2 x GTX 980 Ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

teetar

Registered
Hello, I'm trying to decide, once and for all, which GPU to get, 2 SLI'd GTX 980 Ti's or 2 CrossFired R9 Fury X's. I've had a hard time trying to find benchmarks, specifically for 4k, and when I do, I'm not sure how reliable they are. From the benchmarks I've been able to see, the R9 Fury X's will perform equally or better than the GTX 980 Ti's at 4k resolution gaming, and they're cheaper as well, and naturally this would point me towards getting those, but I have also seen benchmarks that show the 980 Ti outperforming the Fury X, hence my confusion. Which card is better in a pair (SLI/xFire) and which one will perform better at higher resolutions? Is the 2GB memory gain with the 980 Ti really worth $100, and does it greatly improve the 980 Ti's performance?

Thanks for any insight!

I'd go with 980ti sli.

I'm confused by your statement of extra $100, as they both MSRP for $650 and actually the 980ti got dropped down another $20 or so I believe.

Are you planning to run at 4k?

Also, do you have room in your case to deal with mounting two separate fury x radiators? That's the biggest issue imo.

Please elaborate on the $100 you are referring to, as the 2 cards retail for the same price in the U.S and U.K (actually the 980 Ti is cheaper than the FuryX over at Overclockers.co.uk).

If it were me though personally, 980 Ti's all day.

Ive heard that the new r9s are just repackaged 290, and in the end are just space heaters...i would go with the TI's.

Please elaborate on the $100 you are referring to, as the 2 cards retail for the same price in the U.S and U.K (actually the 980 Ti is cheaper than the FuryX over at Overclockers.co.uk).

If it were me though personally, 980 Ti's all day.

Price of Fury X and 980Ti is similar but price in US is ~30% lower than in UK ;) Some of these pre-order prices on overclockers.co.uk are just unreal. Orders for some will be probably cancelled when cards will be on stock.

I would get 980Ti just because drivers are better, games generally like nvidia more, game developers support nvidia more and you can get good non-reference version while Fury-X is still new, reference and without any OC headroom.

R7/R9 300 are rebrands. Fury/Fury X are totally new chips and performance looks really good ... would be great if they could OC.

Thanks for your response. I should apologize for the misinformation in my original post, I took the pricing data from Amazon, since Newegg didn't have pricing for the Fury X, but Amazon's prices seem to just be strangely high. I think I'm going to look more at the 980 Ti based on the responses I've received so far.

Amazon sells out of 980tis very quickly, you seeing prices listed by third party resellers that are price gouging because of availability issues.

If I were you, I'd buy two Fury (non x) cards for crossfire and save $200. The AMD cards don't need multicard bridges but use XDMA technology that allows for higher scaling in most cases than Nvidia cards. The Sapphire Fury model runs extremely quiet. Anandtech said it was the quietest high end card they've ever tested. The Fury X cards are nice if you have two spots for the radiators because all of the heat gets blown directly out of the case and keeps the cards very cool. The problem right now is very limited supply. It's hard to find either fury card in stock for very long. If you can wait a little bit, 2 Fury cards would be my recommendation to save some decent cash. If you need to buy now, you can try and get lucky if you want a Fury, otherwise you'll need to go with the 980 Ti.

Here's a review where the Fury beats the 980 Ti in 3 out of 5 4k tests with one tie and one loss:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2947...n-fury-crossfire-review-2-fast-2-furious.html

Another one between Fury X and Titan X, Fury X wins every gaming test.
http://www.digitalstorm.com/unlocked/amd-fury-x-crossfire-gaming-benchmarks-vs-sli-titan-x-idnum361/

Another showing Fury X winning in 4/6 gaming tests against the 980 Ti.
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...2-and-3-Way-Multi-GPU-Performance/Metro-Last-

I don't think it's the matter of 5% performance difference here or there but the fact that AMD has constantly problems with drivers and some other things what you can't see in reviews around the web. I'm not saying that Fury is bad. Actually I see it's really interesting option. However all we have now on the market are only reference cards which are barely overclocking. GTX980Ti can get like 10-20% boost easily after OC without any special settings. Fury simply can't. If you want Fury then I would wait some time till we see modified PCB or anything that will let these cards run at higher clocks.

I don't think it's the matter of 5% performance difference here or there but the fact that AMD has constantly problems with drivers and some other things what you can't see in reviews around the web. I'm not saying that Fury is bad. Actually I see it's really interesting option. However all we have now on the market are only reference cards which are barely overclocking. GTX980Ti can get like 10-20% boost easily after OC without any special settings. Fury simply can't. If you want Fury then I would wait some time till we see modified PCB or anything that will let these cards run at higher clocks.

If we were talking single card configurations I would agree with you, but in SLI, 980 Ti cards already throttle compared to single card clocks. This review shows the clock speeds the cards are running at while testing. As you can see, trying to overclock 980 Tis in SLI will be of no benefit as they will hit their temperature limit and reduce clocks anyway,

srIArQL.png

http://www.hardware.fr/focus/111/crossfire-radeon-r9-fury-x-fiji-vs-gm200-round-2.html

This review tests lots of games so I would look through it to see how the cards perform in the games you want to play and go from there.

That's true, but worth noting that they were using the reference design cooler for the 980ti, the results could be different if they used an AIB aftermarket cooler such as the ACX2, windforce, dcu2, etc.

In the past, the general guidance has been that for multiple cards, you want a blower (reference) style card as they push the hot air out the back of the case whereas with custom cards, the hot air feeds from one card to the other and can cause thermal throttling. With the latest Fury(x)/980Ti/TitanX cards I don't know if that still applies as the blower style air coolers seem to be hitting their limits with the 225-250 W cards. Either way, if you have air cooled cards, you need really good air flow in your case to get rid of the ~500 W of power they're spitting out.

Last edited:
Completely agreed with that, good airflow is paramount in this circumstance, and hopefully an extra slot of space between two cards (no matter their fan design)

If I were you, I'd buy two Fury (non x) cards for crossfire and save $200. The AMD cards don't need multicard bridges but use XDMA technology that allows for higher scaling in most cases than Nvidia cards. The Sapphire Fury model runs extremely quiet. Anandtech said it was the quietest high end card they've ever tested. The Fury X cards are nice if you have two spots for the radiators because all of the heat gets blown directly out of the case and keeps the cards very cool. The problem right now is very limited supply. It's hard to find either fury card in stock for very long. If you can wait a little bit, 2 Fury cards would be my recommendation to save some decent cash. If you need to buy now, you can try and get lucky if you want a Fury, otherwise you'll need to go with the 980 Ti.

Here's a review where the Fury beats the 980 Ti in 3 out of 5 4k tests with one tie and one loss:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2947...n-fury-crossfire-review-2-fast-2-furious.html

Another one between Fury X and Titan X, Fury X wins every gaming test.
http://www.digitalstorm.com/unlocked/amd-fury-x-crossfire-gaming-benchmarks-vs-sli-titan-x-idnum361/

Another showing Fury X winning in 4/6 gaming tests against the 980 Ti.
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...2-and-3-Way-Multi-GPU-Performance/Metro-Last-

The hardware is great. problem is AMD has absolutely horrible driver support right now with non-existent xfire profiles that work correctly. Nvidia is the smart choice for any dual card setup as of now.

Back