• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY guide to painting your PC Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MonsterMawd

The purpose for creating this guide is to show that aerosol spray paint could be used instead of professional equipment like air compressor, HVLP gun or curing lamps to emulate automotive type mirror finish on a computer case. This isn't the "Be All, End All" guide. Everyone's own situation will have different variables from mine. It's always wise to experiment first

lianli.p60B.armorsuit4_case_mod_gaming_pc_build.jpg

Must READ notes before following this guide.

1. This guide is intended for Single Color finishes only, NOT Metallic or Metal Flake Colors.

*Never wet sand Metallic paints, it will remove the tiny metal particles that create the sparkle effect.
*Always apply a clear coat to the final application of metallic paint, then you can wet sand the clear coat if you wish

2. Use the same aerosol paint manufacturer's products, paint color and clear.

3. Since creating this guide in '03, I learned it's not necessary to remove entire factory paint finish down to the bare metal. You can do it if you wish, or skip that part of guide and scuff the factory paint finish with medium or 300 grit sandpaper or Red Scotchbrite pads

4. Avoid mixing Aerosol lacquer and enamel paint and clears. Mixing different types can lead to chemical reactions like paint lifting, cracking.

*Apply enamel clear coat over their Enamel paint.
*Apply Lacquer clear coat over Lacquer paint.

5. You have the option to clear coat if you like, for added protection.

After applying final color coat, let aerosol paint air dry for at least 48 hours before applying Clear Coat (2 - 3 coats). You can either wet sand the Final application of clear coat or use rubbing compound.

6. Can you get the same results on Plastic? ie: PC bezels, drive faces, gpu shrouds etc.

Yes, the only difference in how you prepare the surface. Use 400 grit sandpaper or 3M Scotchbrite Pads to scuff the surface for creating adhesion for the primer coat. Apply a Flexible Primer for Plastic, as base coat before the color coat. I prefer using Plastikote brand Flexible Primer/Spot filler.

You'll find most of these products used in this guide on Amazon, Hardware, Autobody supply or Automotive stores.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint_computer_pc_case_mod_how_to_html.jpg

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint2.jpg

Preparing a case panel for paint.

Mouse sander with Medium grit sandpaper.

As alternative to Mouse Sander and sandpaper, you can use 3M Scotchbrite Pads to scuff the surface for creating adhesion for the primer coat.

3m_red_scotchbrite_pad_37447_07447_mnpctech_ya8s-xh.jpg

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint_2.jpg

Let sander do the work. No need to apply pressure.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint3.jpg

Sweep Mouse sander back and forth over panel.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint4.jpg

After sanding, remove dust with Tack Cloth.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint5.jpg

SEM brand "Self etching" primer for bare metal surfaces.

Paint in a ventilated area.

Always Wear Respirator Mask!

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint6.jpg

Place panel on it's side for spraying.

Hold can approximately 6" - 8" from surface.

Spray from the bottom up, back and forth and repeat.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint7.jpg

3 coats of self etching primer is sufficient.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint8.jpg

Use Tack Cloth to remove over spray dust.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint9.jpg

Panel should have uniform coverage of primer.

Wetsand any paint runs or drips with 600 grit paper, then*spray it again before painting.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint9a.jpg

Before painting, submerge can in hot tap water for at least 10 minutes.*

Warming the paint allows better flow through the nozzle.

(Plasti-kote Gloss Black Enamel)

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint9b.jpg

As stated in video, If air drying your paint, a two week cure time is recommended before wet sanding Enamel paint.*Otherwise you may create scratches in your final finish.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint9c.jpg

2 week cure time before wet sanding * */ * *After using 800 grit * */* * After using 1000/1200 grit ** /** Satin smooth after 1500/200

We're ready to buff out the paint.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint9d.jpg

We're ready to buff out the paint.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint9e.jpg

Quarter size drop (size of CPU chip) of 3M Perfect It 3*per each buffing application.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint9f.jpg

Spread compound with cloth with Cotton cloth.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint9g.jpg

Buff one quarter section at a time. Let the power buffer do the work.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint9h.jpg

How Paint looks after buffing 6 applications of 3M*Perfect It 3 rubbing compound (quarter size drops) which took a duration of 20 minutes.[/size]

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint9i.jpg

Paint after buffing 6 more applications*[/size](total of 12)*Continue buffing until satisfied with the finish, but don't buff through the paint to the primer coat!

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint9j.jpg

3M Hand Glaze should be applied frequently within the first 30 days of a new paint job. (Once or twice a week) Apply Hand Glaze to Micro-fiber or Terry cloth pad and wipe off with clean fiber free towel.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint9k.jpg

Wait 30 days before applying wax.

I prefer using Liquid Lustre brand Carnauba wax, but use whatever brand or type of wax you like. Waxing will protect your deep-wet shine from the Hand Glaze you applied 30 days earlier.

www_mnpctech_com_case_mod_paint9l.jpg

Now apply this technique to your other cases. I used this same technique on this Lian Li PC-80 Armoursuit Full Tower

lianli.p60B.armorsuit4_case_mod_gaming_pc_build.jpg

AWESOME guide!
I learned something new, warming the can in water. I'll keep that in mind for a lot of stuff!

That is an excellent guide, thank you for sharing and :welcome: to the forums.

mice i have a case that needs to be repainted... i was using it as a leg stand for a few years rubbed the paint right off..

Nice write-up.

To clarify some things, AGAIN do NOT put lacquer paints over enamels. The thinners in the lacquer will attack the enamel and ruin your paintjob. You can, however, put enamels over lacquer. I.e. you have a lacquer color and enamel clear. That's fine as long as the lacquer has dried.

- terry cloths will always leave micro scratches. Better off getting the proper foam pads. They are quite inexpensive off amazon.com. Proper pad and buffing compound selection can be its own discussion.

- stay away from the "metal" paints that you can buy in stores. That "chrome" or "gold" paint looks like crap, and you can NOT clear coat it. Waste of time and money in most regards

- dont use polyurethane for clear coats.

- lacquers are typically easier to work with. Enamel clear coats don't look as good as lacquers do typically. I.e. if you're gonna clear coat, use lacquer, if youre using single stage paint process, use enamel. Depends on your uses. If you burn through enamel, youre done, you get to restart. If you burn through lacquer, you just spray some more on and let it dry.

- painting is 80% prep. Take your time to do it right.

Best ways to learn how to cut n buff are to watch videos, youre not getting too much out of a couple pictures.

Back