• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SouthBridge Is so Hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sorenalike

Registered
Hello

I have a MainBoard called P5p43td pro

i never had problems with it but today i find out that Southbridge is really hotter than northbridge i can't even hold my finger on it for 3 sec

what causes this heat ? Is this normal ?

and my second question is that my front panel Audio input (but usb is fine) is not working what should i do.

Thanks

There could be many reasons why, but the bottom line is to put a fan on it and/or replace the thermal paste on it to cool it off.

Do you have the front panel audio connected to the case in the first place?

Im curious at the 6GB of ram in a dual channel board... is that 3x2GB sticks? If so, one of them is running in single channel... not optimal, but it wont kill you.

There could be many reasons why, but the bottom line is to put a fan on it and/or replace the thermal paste on it.

Do you have the front panel audio connected to the case in the first place?

Thanks for the replay

Yes but i think it is in wrong place ?

there is 3 wire so i dont know witch one it is

ya i am trying to find another ram that matches them

Last edited:
Thanks for the replay

Yes but i think it is in wrong place ?

there is 3 wire so i dont know witch one it is

ya i am trying to find another ram that matches them
On the case, there is a connector labeled FRONT PANEL AUDIO/HD AUDIO. Plug that into your motherboard's front panel audio header (see your manual for details on where it is).

Not sure what RAM has to do with anything...?

As far as cooling it off without a fan, I mentioned to replace the thermal paste on it and see if that helps.

Are you experiencing issues with this 'problem' or????

On the case, there is a connector labeled FRONT PANEL AUDIO/HD AUDIO. Plug that into your motherboard's front panel audio header (see your manual for details on where it is).

Not sure what RAM has to do with anything...?

As far as cooling it off without a fan, I mentioned to replace the thermal paste on it and see if that helps.

Are you experiencing issues with this 'problem' or????

well you mentioned 6gb ram and i am looking for another 2gb to get full dual channel but i tried a few rams and none of them was match for others ( there were ok on 800 and 1066 mode but not in 1333)
rams are a bit old like 5 years but finding a match ram for them is little bit hard here

I found the manual . looks like it is in right place but not working i tried mic and headset not working
I will try thermal paste but i dont know how just put it on heatsink ? or under it
Not for now but i did a few upgrades on my system like GPU-CPU and power supply and i never had heat problems with it , that makes me worried that mainboard burns out because of it
or maybe its just normal

Last edited:
If the southbridge heat sink needs re-pasting or is not making good contact then I think the heat sink itself would be cooler than normal since the heat is not able to be transferred to it efficiently.

Intel's thermal design guide for your motherboard's ICH10 chipset lists a maximum package temperature of least 105 Celcius (see page 10): http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/design-guide/io-controller-hub-10-family-guidelines.pdf

I have an ECS G41 with the north bridge heatsink at 59C and the ICH7 south bridge heatsink at 69C, and I guess that's OK because the south bridge originally came with no heatsink on it. I was able to keep my finger on the heatsink (no fan) for 5 seconds before feeling pain (chip rated 3.8 watts maximum, compared to 4.5W max for your ICH10R). Intel says the maximum package temperature can be at least 99C.

If radiator is hot, then it's good (it means that it receives all the heat from the chip) if it's cold, and chip is hot then it's a problem ;)

Back