• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some opinions on a new GPU or two for 4K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ALIENZ!

Registered
Hey everyone, I just picked up a 4K monitor yesterday and after messing around with a few games, I've decided that I want to upgrade to a new video card, possibly two due to the framerates I'm getting. My system specs are in my signature below. I've been thinking about a 980 Ti, due to the extra VRAM, but I'm also open to other ideas. I'm also open to upgrading other system components as well.

The rest of your system should be fine.

I guess it depends on your budget, no single card right now can run at 4K at a reliable framerate. So you are basically looking at minimum 2x290x/295x2/2x980/2x390x/2xFury/2xFuryx/2x980ti

Kind of in that order, give or take. The TitanX is also a possibility, but is lacking in overall value compared to the 980ti.

Funny I was just reading some reviews about this

Witcher 3 really puts a beat down on single cards at 4K

I would look to 2x 980Ti's

Thanks for the input guys. At the moment, I'm thinking I'll go with a single 980 Ti, and run games at 1440p until I can build up the courage to buy another 980 Ti. If I could find a Fury in stock somewhere, I might be willing to give that a try, but I cannot find one in stock anywhere and I'm still skeptical about AMD's driver support.

With 780s in SLI not giving you the performance you want, you're going to definitely need to continue to use multiple cards. To get a real upgrade you're going to need to go with an AMD Fury (or Fury X) or 980 Ti. I posted in the other thread my opinion on that comparison:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...x-GTX-980-Ti?p=7839122&viewfull=1#post7839122
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...x-GTX-980-Ti?p=7839191&viewfull=1#post7839191
It could be vRAM limited with the 3GB his 780's have...I would imagine they have enough horsepower, but 3GB @ 4K is simply not enough in many titles (not all... and it depends on your settings of course).

That's true, 4k really makes 3 GB cards choke on some titles. With that said, from what I've seen you still need 2 cards if you want to play at 4k and high/ultra settings. If you're willing to turn a few settings down to improve performance, I think you can get by with a 980 Ti or Fury X.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the input guys. At the moment, I'm thinking I'll go with a single 980 Ti, and run games at 1440p until I can build up the courage to buy another 980 Ti. If I could find a Fury in stock somewhere, I might be willing to give that a try, but I cannot find one in stock anywhere and I'm still skeptical about AMD's driver support.

Sounds good, though I think if you like to play at high/ultra settings, you're going to want that second card sooner than later.

A lot of people turn down/off AA (because you don't need nearly as much) and that allows a single card to be acceptable.

A lot of people turn down/off AA (because you don't need nearly as much) and that allows a single card to be acceptable.

Yup, that's the plan. I've had all AA related options turned off when attempting to run a game at 4K.

- - - Updated - - -

Any brands I should look into? I've had my eye on the Zotac 980 Ti AMP Extreme, but I hear those suffer from quite a bit of coil whine. I'm also thinking that a stock cooler might be best as I have a mid-tower case and don't want to build up a bunch of heat in there, hence going with a blower-style card.

So quick update - ended up buying an EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC edition and 16GB of G.Skill sniper memory and I'm extremely impressed with the 980 Ti. I played GTA 5 maxed out at 4k for about half an hour and got an average of 40FPS, which in GTA feels really smooth. Didn't have any stuttering at all. At this point, I think I might just stick with a single 980 Ti, as I feel that the performance out of one card is more than enough for the time being.

Thanks again for all the input guys, I really appreciate it.

Back