• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Desktop Overkill - 10980XE, 64 GB RAM, 3080 Ti, water cooled

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And processor is here. Let's get this party started.

IMG_2151.jpg

nice build i almost went 2011 when i did my first socket 1155 build a dew years back..the insane price at the time steered me towards z68 and a 2550k cpu which i sold not long after and bought a 2600k off a friend..

as far as your build hmmm 8 ram slots..sick build though i've always wanted one of those pci-e ssd's.. you might remember the htpc overkill build i did, well that won't need any upgrading for a long time..

@THideras I'm so ashamed, I was thinking about AMD/ATI but seeing how you feel about them, Might just change out the X for the Z and be done with graphics, lol.

Interesting on the Vbox, I'm gonna have to look into that, might be fun to mess with my Father and get that installed and run some 3.1 so I can tell him this is the NEW Win10.

Back to the subject at hand, looking good, love that SSD, me wants. Probabably not for a long time if the prices ever drop and I build a system that can use it's full potential.

@THideras I'm so ashamed, I was thinking about AMD/ATI but seeing how you feel about them, Might just change out the X for the Z and be done with graphics, lol.

Interesting on the Vbox, I'm gonna have to look into that, might be fun to mess with my Father and get that installed and run some 3.1 so I can tell him this is the NEW Win10.

Back to the subject at hand, looking good, love that SSD, me wants. Probabably not for a long time if the prices ever drop and I build a system that can use it's full potential.

I'd actually take the X over the Z, FWIW.

I'll make you want it more, sorry! It is "kind of quick".

2015-07-19 07_00_24-Greenshot_atto.png

2015-07-19 07_00_24-Greenshot_crystal.png

I'm working on overclocking the system. I'm slowly working up speed wise, currently at 3.819 GHz @ 1.100v.

I'll make you want it more, sorry! It is "kind of quick".

I'm working on overclocking the system. I'm slowly working up speed wise, currently at 3.819 GHz @ 1.100v.

There should be a "Report" option for that post :rofl:, I mean that's just cruel and unusual :cry:, makes me want even more though. I'm startin' to think that might be too much drive for you, and as such a caring and responsible person, I might be willing to hold on to it until you are ready for something that friggin' awesome!!!:sly: Only if you ask nicely though :chair: If you couldn't tell I'm just a bit jealous, but lovin' the stats, gonna be a sick machine when you done. On a side note, My basis of comparison for how good a drive is, is whether or not I have time to get a cup of coffee while I'm opening a large PDF file or not. Since SSDs I have missed out on more coffee breaks, almost wish they were never invented :escape:

There should be a "Report" option for that post :rofl:, I mean that's just cruel and unusual :cry:, makes me want even more though. I'm startin' to think that might be too much drive for you, and as such a caring and responsible person, I might be willing to hold on to it until you are ready for something that friggin' awesome!!!:sly:
Sure, just put your mailing address here:

lol no
:)

Testing 4.2 GHz @ 1.2v now. It's pretty quick, as well.

I did stability testing overnight and it seems 4.2 GHz with 1.2v is the sweet spot, sitting around 72-79c in Prime95 with small FFT; blend is a little cooler. Any more speed, and I need to bump up the voltage. Any more voltage and temps get out of hand.

Man, the numbers on that SSD. How fast does Windows boot, I wonder?

I open any file or program on my 850 EVO, and it's instantly there (including GIMP, which takes around 45 seconds to a minute on a HDD), so I can't imagine how fast that thing is.

Man, the numbers on that SSD. How fast does Windows boot, I wonder?

I open any file or program on my 850 EVO, and it's instantly there (including GIMP, which takes around 45 seconds to a minute on a HDD), so I can't imagine how fast that thing is.
There is no boot, that is how fast it is.

All the hardware is installed and I've been using it for a few days. The performance difference between a good SSD and this PCIe NVME is like going from a fast mechanical to a SSD; it is incredible. CPU-wise, I don't think I've seen over 30% utilization while running a VM (which has a lot of programs running), all my normal applications, plus a full screen game.

The board is a little crowded with this big of a heatsink. Adding and removing memory will be interesting. The fans hang low enough to create some airflow over the memory and VRM sections, though, which is nice.
IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

This was the temporary setup while I was testing overclocks and getting all the hardware ready to go.
IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

On Sunday, I got all the hardware installed in the case, and did a poor job of cable management. I might make cables in the future, but this works perfectly fine. The board is an incredibly tight fit, specifically the 8 pin CPU power connector at the top. I had to remove the top fan to even have a chance to clip the cable in.
IMG_2172.jpg

Performance wise, this system is substantially faster than my previous one, even if I disregard the hard drive. Memory throughput is way higher, and I'm not stressing the CPU anywhere near as much as the old system. I was seeing 75-100% CPU usage on the old system, normally.

Old system:
2015-07-18 18_41_10-MaxxMEM² - PreView.png

New system stock:
2015-07-19 07_26_03-Greenshot_maxxmem_new.png

New system overclocked (not sure why the new version always says "150ns" every time I run it):
2015-07-22 14_13_26-MaxxMEM² - PreView.png

Last edited:
That is impressive, hands down a machine to drool over. Well maybe avoid drooling on it at least.

A things arrived for me today?? The UPS guy was complimenting my packages. ;)

IMG_2343.jpg

I wonder what is inside.

Dell U2715H

Last edited:
You're welcome for nudging you to spend more money... again :)

you are really good at that.... >.> butte.
captain almost making me buy a bunch of 3tb drives yesterday.
and the monitor you made me buy a few months ago.
thisiswhyimbroke.user

Back