• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soooooooo, does 1.8 volts constitute DDR3 abuse?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arbiter Odie

...because that's what I'm running them at. Hello again, fellow overclockers! Today I come to you with a question: What's the highest safe voltage, in your experience, to run DDR3 DIMMs at?

I have a bad stick of RAM. It can't do it's rated spec of 1600 MHz, not even overvolted to the moon. Buuuut, it can do 1333 MHz, with tightened timings.
I'd like to get these sticks stable, tune the timings, and stop worrying about it. Every setting I change is followed by an overnight assault by memtest. I have a fan pointing at them. If they die, I'll get some ECC RAM to replace them (have wanted that for quite a while!) Everything is perfect....

...but I'd really prefer these survive. Just so I don't have to shell out a couple hundred bucks. What do you guys think? 1.8 volts? Or is it crazy talk?

I'd RMA it and be done. G.SKILL has a lifetime warranty and they have super fast turnaround.
While it should survive, why not get some that'll run rated specs?

Yeah, it's not worth having to over-volt your memory sticks if they won't run at their rated specs (assuming all other system components are compatible).

I'd just request an RMA from the manufacturer and see if you can get them replaced.

Personally though, I stop at 1.75v if I'm benching some memory with air cooling, not much to be gained beyond that point unless you're trying to break records with LN2 cooling or something. For daily use though I don't go above 1.65v for DDR3.

Aww, you guys are just too darn sensible.

:D

Quick question though, how long do you think I'd be out a set of RAM? I... use it. Minecraft is a memory hog, especially when I'm the one running the server. If it's weeks of waiting...

Right, looks like I have some work to do (gotta isolate which stick it is). Thanks for the help, guys!

EDIT: Apparently I'm chicken of RMA processes. I'll... just keep them underclocked and do the RMA when I buy new RAM (whenever that is). Your advice is good, though, thanks again!

Last edited:
The lowest "absolute maximum" I know of for DDR3 chips is 1.80V, for certain Hynix 1.35V chips, like this one (page 11): https://www.skhynix.com/inc/pdfDown.../Computing_DDR3L_H5TC4G4(8_6)3AFR(Rev1.0).pdf

But almost all other DDR3, whether 1.35V or 1.50V, has an absolute maximum rating of 1.975V

I think your G.Skill memory was made from either chips rated slower than 1333 MHz or untested/no name/reject chips. I usually buy 1600 MHz or faster memory because it's more likely to be made from name brand 1333 MHz chips, sometimes even 1600 MHz chips.

Does your board support ecc ram?

I think your G.Skill memory was made from either chips rated slower than 1333 MHz or untested/no name/reject chips. I usually buy 1600 MHz or faster memory because it's more likely to be made from name brand 1333 MHz chips, sometimes even 1600 MHz chips.
Just like every other ram LMC... don't start this nonsense again.

If the sticker says 2133 on it, they will run that speed. It does not matter what is under the hood/what it's rated at.

Last edited:
Right, looks like I have some work to do (gotta isolate which stick it is). Thanks for the help, guys!

EDIT: Apparently I'm chicken of RMA processes. I'll... just keep them underclocked and do the RMA when I buy new RAM (whenever that is). Your advice is good, though, thanks again!

I would send the whole kit. You bought a set so you should get a matching pair. That's just me though.

No gaming for, like, 2 weeks?!?!?!?! But MOOOooommm....

LOL Ya I'd bite the bullet and RMA them. This is why it's nice to have a back-up rig or 3. :)

No gaming for, like, 2 weeks?!?!?!?! But MOOOooommm....

LOL Ya I'd bite the bullet and RMA them. This is why it's nice to have a back-up rig or 3. :)

Why I keep spare ram on hand. Most of the time I don't need it, but when I do it's there. Rather have it and not need it, than need it an not have it.

lol, I was hoping that nobody would notice that edit, and forget I posted the thread :p

Today I ordered some ECC memory from crucial. ED, this board supports ECC, but it has to be unregistered. Apparently registered RAM requires extra circuitry on the motherboard, and Asus didn't want to shell out for that. Oh well.

When the new RAM gets here, I'll see if I can find the clam shells the old stuff came in. There's two kits installed at the moment, both the same product, and I don't know which sticks go together. Hopefully part numbers on them will tell me. Ugh. Asus has ruined the RMA experience for me.

Oh yeah, larrymoencurly, the RAM installed in my computer is two kits of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314
It's rated for 1600 MHz, at cas 9.

EDIT: Clarity

Back