• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1440p capable GPU question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is there any benefit aside from resolution between 1080 144hz and 1440 144hz?

Okay so I scored an 980 SC ACX 2.0 for $411 on eBay and I am considering a 144hz monitor and or a 1440p monitor in a few months. I have 2 other 1080p screens (tv/monitor) I would like to run and a possible 3rd in the future. If I wanted to run all three screens simultaneously I need to get a DP cable due to the other two screens running hdmi and dvi. Would that need to be an active DP cable or does that not matter until a 4th screen comes into play (not exactly sure about active DP cables)?

Also would there be any loss in image quality to a monitor with a DP to HDMI cable?

Just buy a monitor with DisplayPort, that's the way most computer equipment is headed.

The only time active matters is if you're converting to another input from DisplayPort.

Looking into an ips monitor in 1440p and in the 27" range. Found an Acer G257HU smidpx which is only 25". A buddy of mine just bought a QX2710 which is an AHVA. I've heard of different types of monitors such as PLS as well. Could you guys possibly suggest some monitors without a bad viewing angle, in 1440p, and possibly not insanely priced. Focused more on image quality instead of refresh rate.

Looking into an ips monitor in 1440p and in the 27" range. Found an Acer G257HU smidpx which is only 25". A buddy of mine just bought a QX2710 which is an AHVA. I've heard of different types of monitors such as PLS as well. Could you guys possibly suggest some monitors without a bad viewing angle, in 1440p, and possibly not insanely priced. Focused more on image quality instead of refresh rate.

If you don't care about G-Sync, Freesync, high refresh rates, then any IPS/AHVA/PLS, etc. panel will work for your wide viewing angles requirement. I run a Samsung version of the QNIX and am very pleased with it. The Dell's that ATM recommends are also very nice too with excellent support.

I'm thinking this would be your best option:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=210-ADKB
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...1lmlInZg_BxoCt3Hw_wcB&is=REG&m=Y&Q=&A=details

99% sRGB factory calibrated, IPS, 27", the best stand on the market, 2x HDMI / 1x DisplayPort / 1x mini DisplayPort / 1x DisplayPort (output for MST), 4-port USB 3.0 Hub, 3yr warranty
(this is the big brother to my U2414H monitors that I use in Surround, they're absolutely top notch and I highly recommend to anyone)

That price tag though :shock:. Going to wait and see if I can find it on a sale or at least get some coupons (visa checkout + coupon codes :clap:) for staples then do a price match or something.

By using a DP->HDMI adapter, you won't degrade image QUALITY. However, HDMI won't be able to carry above 60 Hz signal, if you do decide to go the 144Hz route. You would need to use DisplayPort or Dual Link DVI.

That price tag though :shock:. Going to wait and see if I can find it on a sale or at least get some coupons (visa checkout + coupon codes :clap:) for staples then do a price match or something.
I'm thinking this would be your best option:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=210-ADKB
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...1lmlInZg_BxoCt3Hw_wcB&is=REG&m=Y&Q=&A=details

99% sRGB factory calibrated, IPS, 27", the best stand on the market, 2x HDMI / 1x DisplayPort / 1x mini DisplayPort / 1x DisplayPort (output for MST), 4-port USB 3.0 Hub, 3yr warranty
(this is the big brother to my U2414H monitors that I use in Surround, they're absolutely top notch and I highly recommend to anyone)

Do you get the service tag for Dell's warranty when you buy from B&H or Staples? When I bought a Dell screen from Amazon there was no service tag, and therefore no warranty past Amazon's return window. If something's already $500, I think the full warranty is worth the extra $100 to buy it directly from Dell.

Last edited:

I never said it was cheap, just that it was the best, LOL

Do you get the service tag for Dell's warranty when you buy from B&H or Staples? When I bought a Dell screen from Amazon there was no service tag, and therefore no warranty past Amazon's return window. If something's already $500, I think the full warranty is worth the extra $100 to buy it directly from Dell.

I'll have to check my monitors when I get home (they came from Newegg)

Back