• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Needing a basic home wifi extender plugged in an outlet or hard wired

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Conumdrum

I have a Netgear WNDR4000 wired/wifi router in my PC room. Too many walls to the main living area. I do have a spare wired cable off my router I can use in the area I need coverage. Or I can put a wifi repeater in a decent spot which should be fine.

Sooo?

What repeater or wifi broadcaster is best and not silly expensive? I use 3G and 5G, I guess the latest standard but needs to be backwards compatible.

Ideas? Thanks ahead of time, I'm really not too smart in this area. Well actually clueless.

I would suggest setting up an access point off of that wired connection you have available

You should buy a router that fits your needs and lists compatibility as an access point.
When you get it you plug it in to the network, log into it just like any other router, them set it to access point mode.
This will cause your existing network to be replicated via the access point, but with full strength via wired connection :)

I'd look into buying a faster router (with AP functionality as ATM mentioned) than what you have and set your current router as the AP. Make your new router your main router. I personally use the Netgear r7000 and it works extremely well, as does my netgear r6300 as an AP. Both are rock solid stable, but those might not be in your budget.

Hey all, I finally got a WiFi extender on order. Thanks for the help way back. I got's a JB Firestick and wifi in the living room is just too weak.

So I ordered this one:

[h=1]Securifi Almond - (3 Minute Setup) Touchscreen Wireless Router / Range Extender[/h]
$69 Amazon prime. I'll let you know how it works.

I have a Netgear WNDR4000 wired/wifi router in my PC room. Too many walls to the main living area. I do have a spare wired cable off my router I can use in the area I need coverage. Or I can put a wifi repeater in a decent spot which should be fine.

Sooo?

What repeater or wifi broadcaster is best and not silly expensive? I use 3G and 5G, I guess the latest standard but needs to be backwards compatible.

Ideas? Thanks ahead of time, I'm really not too smart in this area. Well actually clueless.

I have never had much success with extenders/repeaters. The one I did have some very good results with was a Tp-link.

The best extender I have ever use is 400+ foot of Cat-6 wiring the house:)

3G and 5G? You mean 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz?

Chipping in 2 cents for future reference:

My 300N router is in a basement closet and has to serve devices that are two floors up and two or more walls away, on the other side of the house. Connection was iffy on the second floor of our home. This device was absolutely painless to set up and solved the issues, for $15 on sale at Microcenter (currently $25). It's been 100% reliable.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/419810/TL-WA850RE_300Mbps_Universal_WiFi_Range_Extender

Another thing to check: Try different Wifi channels. A year ago, we got new neighbors, and I realized my Wifi performance had degraded because their router was on the same channel as mine. Switched channels and things got better.

Funny you mention that Tp Link extender rbstern, I picked one up yesterday because my router is on my 2nd floor and was sick of listening to the misses complain about lack of coverage on the 1st floor room furthest away from the router. It worked great.

Funny you mention that Tp Link extender rbstern, I picked one up yesterday because my router is on my 2nd floor and was sick of listening to the misses complain about lack of coverage on the 1st floor room furthest away from the router. It worked great.

Glad to know my experience isn't unique!

Back