• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing External AC to AC Power Adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zzzzzzzzzz

I am trying to determine compatibility from set of many power adapters, a power adapter well-compatible with a telephone and answering machine multipurpose device. The OEM power adapter is not available.

The device is General Electric (GE) branded. The device, according to its label, is:
Code:
ATLINKS USA, Inc.
Model No. 29893GE1-B

FCC Registration No. 69HCHN-47150-MT-E

According to the manual (attached), the intended power adapter is ATLINKS USA 5-2434. I have attached a picture of the OEM adapter.

The OEM power adapter appears to be an AC to AC transformer with the following specifications
Code:
INPUT:   AC 120V 60hZ  10w
OUTPUT:  AC 9V    400 mA

The OEM does not specify the power adapter connector polarity.

For reference I have also attached the OEM's Specification sheet and User Manual.

The AC to AC power adapters that I have at 9V AC output all have a current rating greater than the amount specified on the OEM power adapter (400 mA). For Alternating Current applications, can the rated current of a replacement power adapter much exceed what the OEM power adapter is rated for?

If the OEM does not disclose the AC polarity its device or OEM power adapter uses, is to reasonable to assume that input polarity for the telephone and answering machine multipurpose device is not significant?

Attachments

• 29893GE1.PDF
    264.8 KB · Views: 77
  • atlinks_usa_5-2434 fixed.jpg
    atlinks_usa_5-2434 fixed.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 29893UserGuide.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 515
If the power adapter is rated higher than necessary it simply won't have all of its potential used.
AC alternates positive/negative, so there is no "polarity" of a terminal.

If the power adapter is rated higher than necessary it simply won't have all of its potential used.
Thanks. Understood.
AC alternates positive/negative, so there is no "polarity" of a terminal.
This would intuitively seem the case, but why then are power taps and plugs often polarized? Also, the hot connection is usually specified differently than the neutral connection.

Perhaps other than polarity the designation is called something else.

Does this not apply to AC to AC adapters? Would it be important to know (if applicable) which contact is intended for hot and which for neutral?

Thanks. Understood.
This would intuitively seem the case, but why then are power taps and plugs often polarized? Also, the hot connection is usually specified differently than the neutral connection.

Perhaps other than polarity the designation is called something else.

Does this not apply to AC to AC adapters? Would it be important to know (if applicable) which contact is intended for hot and which for neutral?

The only place hot and neutral matters is at the wall.
Once the transformer sees the power and sends it to the device it won't matter.

Back