• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fraps and Storage Devices? (SSD)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fosk

I did a bit of a search and look around and couldn't find anything directly related to my questions. I want to buy a new storage drive for mostly recording with Fraps and a little shadowplay as well as storing the content. Something i wanted to quickly touch on was SSD and amount of reads and writes that may occur with FRAPS, i want to Fraps at 60 fps/1080p which is going to end up at like 2 gig per 1 minute of footage.

Now with SSD and read/writes will that be 1 write per frame? or 1 write per recording? Where or what should i be googling and researching to get a better understanding of this. I don't mind if Frapsing a few TB on a 500gb device lowers my SSD lifespan by 10-25% but i don't want to be shredding my SSD. Now i know there is SSD nazis out there that freak out over gaming on SSDs in general which is pretty over the top but i do want to establish a rough understanding and estimate on if its viable to use a SSD for Fraps specifically.

Why an SSD? I just found the hitch or half second stutter from shadowplay is non existent on my SSD verse my 1tb seagate 7200rpm storage drive from 2008, that and Fraps recordings had far less imperfections in forms of fps drop or stutters while recording to my SSD then my normal device, plus having a little spare space for a few games wont hurt. My OS SSD is 240gb and houses only Quake Live/ CSGO/ Dota2 and stays at 100+ gb free space and would like to keep it that way.

Further more if its possible which one should i buy in the picture below? the HyperX or the Crucial/Samsung all around 200 CHF which is good price.

p5g2rLc.png

Grab the one with part number F09L01 in your screenshot.
It'll be fine with the writes.

Back