• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Notebook won't start at all - please help me open it and diagnose it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, more like scotch tape. It was bought brand new at Office Depot.
Yes the pegs make it impossible to just push out, you need to use whichever method is preferable to work your way around the edges.

Attachments

• tmp_24428-20150726_121753-1442441868.jpg
    tmp_24428-20150726_121753-1442441868.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
That's odd indeed, I've never seen a company use adhesive of any kind to hold a keyboard in. The pegs usually do just fine.

The OEM probably never intended any repairs, but to throw it away and buy the latest model to replace it.

That's definitely an ugly, weird one. I've never seen that done on proof of concept systems, much less production. it'd be good to determine who subbed the manufacturing process to make sure that their work gets avoided in the future.

hp Pavilion g6-2237us C2L84UA
hp web site is down now but when it comes back up
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=5318955
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5318955#N186

The led light next to where you plug in the power supply is actually working but the laptop will not turn on at all or make any noise.
Already tried taking out the battery, power-only on, battery-only on, standard hard reset procedures...

I know the hard drive is working, took it out and rescued files. I have two power supplies, it's not the power supply. I have two batteries, it's not the battery.

I have two identical laptops. One is working.
Help me open it up and diagnose the problem.

I am guessing it's the motherboard or something related to internal power?
How risky would it be to use the parts from the working laptop to help diagnose the problem?
My main problem is how to open it... can't find a good how to disassemble this model hp Pavilion g6-2237us C2L84UA

Well my wifes dell did the same thing... i just held a small pencile torch to the video chip to allow the solder connections to re-seat. been working ever since.

Why would a video card influence the main On/Off button not turning on at all whereas the power supply LED is working normally...
I do have the entire motherboard completely out.

I do believe this was a catastrophic failure of the most expensive part of the laptop - motherboard or something fused to it...
I am keeping the laptop for parts since there are two additional identical laptops in the family.

I've only ever bought $500-$600 laptops like this that can be had after coupons for +/- $350.
I have found out not to just focus on specs since it turned out that in this category the keyboard and sound play quite a big part.
I was thoroughly disappointed in Toshiba models which had inferior keyboard and inferior sound.
Keyboard is very important, the flimsy Toshiba feel was a big downer in comparison to this hp keyboard, although I understand you are saying the underlying construction is questionable.

Skimping out on the feel of the keyboard and sound is something I would be weary about when buying a laptop now.

Last edited:
I'd have to agree for most people.

For me it goes back to what you actually interact with on a laptop balanced with the need for mobility. As always, you largely interact with the keyboard, mouse, monitor and sound. As long as the rest is fast and reliable enough for what you do and as portable as you need you'll be satisfied. There's always something better, but for most people the basics are the important point.

I think I've seen motherboards for these for less than 50, but if the rest is so cheaply made, it may not be worth the risk.

Yea, unfortunately, sometimes things just go. I wouldn't likely spend the money to replace the board when you can get the same thing or better for ~$300.

I agree also, the important parts of a laptop are the ones you interact with. I've found Acer laptops to be pretty good spec wise, while not skimping on things like the keyboard and sound. I've always used an external mouse on laptops, as I can't stand trackpads, so I can't tell you who's is best there.

Back