• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhoBi4

Hey everyone, long time reader first time poster.
I've had my 8350 for about 2 months and have decided to start ocing it to hopefully improve performance.
Currently I have the CPU at 4.9ghz with 1.428v.
Multi = 24
Fsb = 205
Temps
Idle
Core 33
Socket 33ish

IBT max load
Core 45
Socket 55
After 20 mins.

Haven't P95 yet only about half hour
Core 48
Socket 60ish
I plan on putting a fan on the back side of my socket to try and lower it.
Been trying to get it to 5ghz but I'm hitting a thermal bric k wall. As well as needing silly amounts of voltage (non of which recorded)
My rig is posted in my about me tab for more info I don't think the sig works on mobile devices.
I know - thread is useless without pics I'll post some up after work tonight.
If I missed anything let me know and I'll try and give more detail.
Thanks in advance!
PhoBi4

Last edited:
Air circulation ...... get that fan on your VRM / socket and in behind. You don't mention fans in your rig, some fans just don't do well with rads though or are you water cooling your Video card as well, so far not bad on Core temps. Being in Australia ambient temps might be playing a bit of a factor with your temps. Telling you straight up there is a big jump in VCore needed to get stable @5GHZ compared to just 4.9GHZ especially with Prime.

Please realize that 4.9Ghz @ 1.435v'ish is already a nice result! If those are your IBT temp at these speeds then your chip is a low-leaker. 5Ghz might not be in the cards w/o killing your chip ;p

I guess I should clarify, you probably could get 5Ghz, but looking at bassnuts sig might be representative of what it would take. He has more radiators than I have case :shock: :thup:

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies. I have 4 bit fennix pros on my 480 rad atm upgrading to sp120 pwms. I have 3 xspc 1650s on my 360. 2 standard sp120s in the front with an SP140 exhaust at the back. I'm going to install a waterblock on my Mobo as well as install a 120mm fan behind.
Yes my r9 290x is blocked with an ek-fc 290x full cover block with back plate - now idles at 32 degrees c. (while CPU under full load with IBT at maximum setting)
I'll update further tonight. Thanks again!

Last edited:
4.9Ghz @ 1.435v'ish << if that is your overclock and P95 Blend mode stable for 2 hours...then you have a cpu that even I would like to have for my daily driver. Needing a ton of voltage after it seems to reach a plateau around 4.8GHz or so is like most of the FX 8 cores. They all stop somewhere and most around the same general area and often then no matter how much cpu voltage you give them...they will go no furhter. Especially in the cpus sold around the beginning of 2014 and the release of the FX-9xxx series.

Congrats on a rather great overclock already at that low Vcore.

RGone...

Hey guys,
I'm pretty annoyed(angry) I have been home for about an hour now and I'm now unable to get my system to boot happily. I just reset my BIOS to a known working overclock of 4.8. Bumped it to 4.9 booted but crashed on prime instantly. Went back to 4.8 am running prime blend as we speak. 15 mins in and no issues so far. I'm going to make doubly sure this 4.8 clock sticks before I attempt to push to 4.9. I have no idea what has happened in the time of my system shutting down till the time I got home. (13 hours) but as far as my partner has told me it hasn't been on.

Different ambient temps can make a big difference with these chips. You likely need more core voltage or CPU_NB to get that 4.9 rocking.

Pictures

Pic's as promised

The Beast...

Case Open
11540895_1609561175990845_4748413496101354717_n_zpsnsdepqpl.jpg

Case Closed
11666147_1609561185990844_958486724840306860_n_zpsxk2wxrex.jpg

Idle
Idle%204.8_zpsu1i1itez.png

Load 40 mins
4.8%201.28v%20full%20load%2036%20mins_zpsyvnua8ty.png

@ PhoBi4..

...Need to attach images to the forum and not link us to some pic hosting site. Many cannot reach pics like that.

What we really need to see and somethings to disable in bios and setup in windows.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Step by Step HowTo Attach files to forum with pictures.
HowTo Attach Files to the forum.

RGone...

I apologise to all, I will edit my picture post tonight. I was wondering what's the best way to take screen shots of my BIOS. I don't have a very steady hand but will do my best if that's the only foreseeable way to take the pictures.
Thank you all for putting up with my stupidity.

Thank you for clarifying my mistake RGone.

Not sure this will help, but what's your CPU_NB voltage, I ask cause I was at a wall going from 4.5 to 4.6 on this 8320, upped the CPU_NB to 1.35v from 1.26-1.28 and that seems to have solved that issue. Now it's on to see what I can get out of this pig. Great MB there, I have the same thing, so many dials to tune on it.

pop in a flash drive and hit the F12 key, it should take a screenshot in bios.
very good processor there, low voltage at 4.8 is a great thing but could be very limiting in max oc.
built a rig for a friend, 4.8 prime stabe for hours on end on air!!!!! will not go 4.81 no matter what I do.
but if you want to work an 8350 at high clocks 4.8 is the number.

Back