• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU O/C Resets to default Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexisvx

Registered
I am editing the post as I have new information on the problem.

I have successfully overclocked my i5 4690k CPU to 4.6ghz from the stock 3.5ghz. What is happening is that after I wake the computer from sleep mode, the CPU speed resets to the stock CPU speed. When I re-boot, it goes back to the overclocked speed of 4.6ghz and stays at that speed as long as I use it. My overclock is stable and runs great, it has passed stress tests, gaming, video editing etc...

When the computer wakes from sleep, I run CPU-Z and it shows the stock speed of 3.5ghz instead of the 4.6ghz. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Problem: CPU resets to stock speed (as indicated by CPU-Z) when putting the computer to sleep. o/c speed goes from 4.6 ghz to 3.5ghz

Below is what I have tried/current settings:
High Performance power is enabled in Windows
Intel SpeedStep is disabled in the Bios
All C-states disabled in the Bios
Intel Turbo Boost enabled in the Bios
'Disable Turbo' is not checked in RealTemp
Overclocking was done in the Bios
Stress tested for stability with Prime 95, stable with all temperatures below 60C

My Rig:
Windows 7
Motherboard: Asrock Z97 Extreme 4
CPU: i5 4690k 3.5Ghz O/C to 4.6Ghz
GPU: GeForce GTX 970 SSC
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14
PSU: EVGA 750W ATX12V
RAM: G.Skill - Ripjaws X - 2x4GB (DDR3 2133)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4

Last edited:
Does she actually log off or are you switching users only? I would guess that her login has power savings enabled in windows while you do not

Thank you for your answers.
I did overclock in the BIOS. I did start the overlooking software a couple of times to look at it but I didn't make any changes. And that was a few days before I did the actual overclock. I spend a day overclocking in the BIOS, finding the most stable speed/heat ratio.
With regards to the user ID, when my wife uses the computer she switches ID she doesn't log off.

Any other ideas on what the issue could be since I did overclock in the BIOS?

If you still have the power saving features turned on in the BIOS and also windows power options set at default, which I believe is balanced, as mentioned above. The chip could still be overclocked but when not under load dropping the clock speed down, to save power.

When logged in under your wife try opening up Cpu-Z and run a stress test such as Prime 95 and see if the Cpu speed goes up to 4.6 Ghz.

I'm curious as to how you stress tested your OC. It's quite possible that what your wife uses the PC for is harder on the CPU than your gaming so it might be restarting from overheating/instability. Then when you get home it's been restarted at default values because the overclock failed.

If you still have the power saving features turned on in the BIOS and also windows power options set at default, which I believe is balanced, as mentioned above. The chip could still be overclocked but when not under load dropping the clock speed down, to save power.

When logged in under your wife try opening up Cpu-Z and run a stress test such as Prime 95 and see if the Cpu speed goes up to 4.6 Ghz.
This... test what I thought was happening Alex. :)

Interesting regarding power saving, I will check my settings tonight and revert in a few hours. When I start Cpu-Z for both my user and my wife's it shows the default speed, but I did not stress test it, I will do so tonight.

What do you recommend I change the power settings to?

- - - Updated - - -

No, it definitely did not restart. Also when I restart the computer it actually goes to the overlooked value not the default one.
I'm curious as to how you stress tested your OC. It's quite possible that what your wife uses the PC for is harder on the CPU than your gaming so it might be restarting from overheating/instability. Then when you get home it's been restarted at default values because the overclock failed.

- - - Updated - - -

I will look at the power settings tonight and do a stress test and report back. Thank you all for your helpful suggestions and PLEASE check back tonight, I need your help!

Hi All,
So as suggested, I did a stress test with Prime 95 and can confirm that the speed did NOT go the overclocked speed but remained at the default 3.5ghz. Therefore when the CPU reverts to the default speed it really does revert to it.

I checked the power settings for both my user and my wife's and they were both set at High performance.

I did another small test: after a fresh reboot, my user showed the expected 4.6Ghz, but when I switched users to go to my wife and run CPU-z and it shows 3.5ghz! when I switch to my user it shows 4.6ghz!! I guess that if I were to ask my wife to use it as usual, eventually my user would also revert to 3.5 as it has been doing for the last few weeks.

Any more ideas as to what causes reverting to the default speed?

At this point I would look at wiping the partitions from the drive and doing a fresh install of the OS.

The default speed for a Core i5-4690K is 3.5 GHz. Any speed higher than this requires that Intel Turbo Boost is enabled. If your CPU overclock is dropping down to 3.5 GHz, it is because Intel Turbo Boost is disabled.

If this happens after the computer resumes from sleep or hibernate, that is an issue with your bios.

Download RealTemp or ThrottleStop and make sure Disable Turbo is NOT checked. That should get your CPU running at full speed again without having to reboot.

If your wife is already using RealTemp in her account, make sure in the Settings or Options window that Disable Turbo is not checked.

RealTemp 3.70
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/Real_Temp/

ThrottleStop 8.00
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0dpSo9k93jDTE1fcHNtbUMwdGc

The default speed for a Core i5-4690K is 3.5 GHz. Any speed higher than this requires that Intel Turbo Boost is enabled. If your CPU overclock is dropping down to 3.5 GHz, it is because Intel Turbo Boost is disabled.

If this happens after the computer resumes from sleep or hibernate, that is an issue with your bios.

Download RealTemp or ThrottleStop and make sure Disable Turbo is NOT checked. That should get your CPU running at full speed again without having to reboot.

If your wife is already using RealTemp in her account, make sure in the Settings or Options window that Disable Turbo is not checked.

RealTemp 3.70
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/Real_Temp/

ThrottleStop 8.00
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0dpSo9k93jDTE1fcHNtbUMwdGc

Uncleweb, thanks for this bit of info. Works the same with the 4790k. I just tried disabling the Turbo Boost and now it won't go over the stock 4.0 ghz. I need to retract a piece of advice I gave in another thread now.

Thank you unclewebb you actually worked out when my Overclock resets. It is not as I thought when my wife uses her account but I can confirm that this happens when I put the computer to sleep. I use Windows 7.

However TurboBoost is enabled in the Bios and it is not checked in in realtemp. Any other ideas?

I changed the original post to reflect new information I found with the problem. Please help me!

Back