• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU O/C Resets to default Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Have u tried updating ur BIOS and clearing CMOS ?

The BIOS is updated. I have not cleared the CMOS and don't really want to at this stage as it seems extreme no? The Pc is a brand new build, mobo, ram, CPU, PSU, GPU - so I started it from scratch. I used it for 5 weeks before I overclocked the CPU.

- - - Updated - - -

What is new up there????

In my initial post I thought that the problem occurred when I logged-in into another user. It turns out that the problem happens when I put the PC in sleep mode. I also summarized actions/settings that I have done.

I have not cleared the CMOS and don't really want to at this stage as it seems extreme no?
NOt at all. Push the button and your BIOS goes to defaults. What is so extreme about that??? Are you confusing that with reinstalling windows??

In my initial post I thought that the problem occurred when I logged-in into another user. It turns out that the problem happens when I put the PC in sleep mode. I also summarized actions/settings that I have done.
I would have added and not removed the other parts...

But anyway, don't sleep. Intel has a notorious issue with it. Just disable sleep/hibernation, and have the power states lower the clocks and voltage while its on.

NOt at all. Push the button and your BIOS goes to defaults. What is so extreme about that??? Are you confusing that with reinstalling windows??

I don't want to reset all the overclocking settings that I did and have to manually redo everything in the Bios. Unless you truly believe that resetting the CMOS has a good chance to fix the issue.

Just disable sleep/hibernation, and have the power states lower the clocks and voltage while its on.

Are you suggesting to always leave the computer on and enable Intel SpeedStep and C-states?

Does your bios have the ability to save a profile? If not, take screenshots of the bios (F12) and save it to your USB stick...

Are you suggesting to always leave the computer on and enable Intel SpeedStep and C-states?
Yes.. or just power it off when you aren't there.

Hmm... I don't recall... maybe not. As I said, take screenshots of your bios and put it on a USB stick. That way all you need to do it look at them from another device and reset it.

Nothing I can think of... however the brain trust here may still have something for you.

I don't see how shutting down at night is an issue, especially if you have an SSD...
Definitely try clearing the CMOS.

Profiles are saved on a CMOS reset, yes. You lose them on a bios flash. ;)

I don't want to reset all the overclocking settings that I did and have to manually redo everything in the Bios. Unless you truly believe that resetting the CMOS has a good chance to fix the issue.

I tell all of my customers to leave their computers on 24/7 with the one caveat to restart it once a week so that updates can finish installing if necessary and also to clear out memory leaks. I really believe in this day and age where our computers' health is so tied to being able to get updates and patches it is just smarter to leave them on all the time. Of course, there are some common sense exceptions like during an electrical storm. Yes, sleep and hibernation states are often problematic. I generally set my Power Options to high performance and leave 'er alone. Does it shorten the life of a computer to leave it on 24/7. Probably a little. But who cares it if only lasts 8 years instead of 12. You will have upgraded long before then.

Funny... I tell people to power down, particularly those with SSDs since boots times are typically less than 30s to an active desktop. That way, I'm not sipping 80-100W of power while the PC is on and idle, saves a few bucks (~$87 /year @ 100W and 10c /KWh), and is better for the environment. If you have updates set to automatic (DL and install), it will DL and install when the PC is in use. When you power off or reboot, they are then installed.

Cake + Eating it too + saving money + being a bit greener = Winning! :)

Last edited:
Funny... I tell people to power down, particularly those with SSDs since boots times are typically less than 30s to an active desktop. That way, I'm not sipping 80-100W of power while the PC is on and idle, saves a few bucks (~$87 /year @ 100W and 10c /KWh), and is better for the environment. If you have updates set to automatic (DL and install), it will DL and install when the PC is in use. When you power off or reboot, they are then installed.

All of this, +1

Yeah, but that is the problem. Various installations are happening when you are trying to use the computer. And if you have it turned off for extended periods of time, you have Windows, your AV and various apps trying to update and catch up all at the same time. It can really bog a system down for an extended period once you power it on, especially if your system is underpowered, which is the case with a lot my customers. And almost none of them have SSDs. Many of those updates are scheduled to happen by default in the wee hours when people are sleeping and not trying to use their computers. Same with AV software that is scheduled to do system scans at times when most people are asleep. If the computer is turned off these things will all happen when you turn it back on and can bog things down for quite awhile. A lot of non-techie people just don't understand what's going on when that happens and think something is wrong with their computers. Then I get calls. To me, it's just not worth saving a few bucks on an electric bill per year.

The other part of that is that the start-up time for a lot of older computers with conventional hard drives, puny CPUs, and small amounts of memory can take forever to start up once turned off.

Throttlestop is not a solution, it's a workaround.
As long as you're happy with it. GL

Back