• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extreme water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OGMCVilleTC

So I'm browsing the classifieds and run across this.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757346

Well as you may have figured out I love taking everything to the extreme. Basically all I'd need is a pump, res, cpu block, and some tubing correct? Would a bay res work for that monster? From the little research I've done they seem to be effective rads. I'd throw it behind my gaming rig. Is this what you have hanging out your window Janus? Anyways I thought it was pretty cool.

Edit: Meant to post in the lounge. If that's more appropriate can a mod move it there please?

There is no special difference between something like 2x 360 rad and anything bigger. Temps difference will be like 2-3 degrees less but you will be able to use slower spinning fans ( or no fans at all ). These huge rads are for users who want to have silent pc. For better cooling it's not really helping as you won't make it cool CPU or GPU much better. If you won't take the rad outside during winter then you simply won't go below some temps.

If you want something to bench then it goes like better air cooler/average water, even AIO for tests around 4-4.5GHz and next you go cold. Average water vs extreme water is like couple of degrees difference and 0-200MHz difference in max clock depends from CPU wattage ( and water cooling thermal capacity ).

I'm not saying it's bad but I would rather spend that money on new CPU or graphics card.

I was thinking it could double as an outside radiator during the winter when I bench. Just wasn't sure if this was actually what was used. I thought it was a car radiator of some sort honestly.

I already have the AMD board, cpu, and ram arriving tomorrow. Have the Z97 OF Formula and cpu coming next week, two or three more graphics cards on the way, and in the process of trying to purchase a R3E and R2E with matching processors. I may even be buying a corsair h105 to go with. I think I'm covered on the new components part...for now.

Still have some extra money laying around though. Always wanted to liquid cool the main machine though. As of now only my cpu is cooled. I'd like both my gpu's to be cooled also. I overclocked them the other night and let's just say they get mighty toasty.

if trying to cool your 24/7 it may be easier too get a rad that fits internally

For benching you can always trow it in a cooler of ice water

this can be very effective on some gpu's ,

Yes, that is very similar to the one Johan45 has hanging out his window in the chilly winter months. Though in Tenn I doubt you'll get the same results, it would still be cooler than in the house though.

IMO for the kind of money to build an extreme water set-up, for benching purposes, you'd be better off buying a good DICE/LN2 pot. We are noticing the price of LN2 widely varies from location to location if it's even available at all. DICE however seems readily available very cheaply everywhere.

Side note: Hanging your rad in the sun is mainly ineffective. Last winter I had mine hanging outside on a -10C day but couldn't get my "water" cold. I noticed the sun beating down on the rads and checked it. Even at that temp the sun was strong enough to make the rads warm. This coming winter they will be in the shade when benching this way.

I'm using the Phobya 1260 supernova with 9x140 fans. All totalled with pump, rad and fans was around $400 CDN at the time.

My case is already a pretty tight fit. Not to mention in terrible at wire management. I really doubt I could get the rad I want inside. I was wanting to build a multi rad setup with a alphacool nexxxos monsta. I figure after buying the rads and fans I'm out more than the guy is asking for what he has. And then we run into the room problem. I purchased a CM Storm Trooper. Should of got a different case. Anyways it's a tight fit. Barely fits my Kraken in the top. No matter how I go what would be a good res and pump? I was liking at the FrozenQ bay res. They look cold as ice.

Oh and I was looking into getting the Dimastech pot. It's only like a $100.

If you are going cold, get adequete water, not overkill. Its a waste of money considering the returns.

Be careful with Dimastech. I believe there's some poop flying around the forum about them not delivering.

OGMCVilleTC, I do not know what your temps are like in Tennessee but I'd imagine you're not going to be getting many sub 0 celcius days. Yes hanging a radiator out the winter is an option but unless you see significantly cold weather I do not feel you're going to see the results you would like. Myself, Johan and Blaylock do the radiator hanging dance in the winter but we also get -10 to -20c days in the winter. I have seen water temps as low as -17c on really cold days. If you're really looking to do some extreme benching you may be better off with a Cpu Pot.

OGMCVilleTC, I do not know what your temps are like in Tennessee but I'd imagine you're not going to be getting many sub 0 celcius days. Yes hanging a radiator out the winter is an option but unless you see significantly cold weather I do not feel you're going to see the results you would like. Myself, Johan and Blaylock do the radiator hanging dance in the winter but we also get -10 to -20c days in the winter. I have seen water temps as low as -17c on really cold days. If you're really looking to do some extreme benching you may be better off with a Cpu Pot.

Yeah we can get to the low 10 degrees Fahrenheit. No sub zero days. I guess the radiator out the window is only for northern folks.

umm, any cold winter day will do. 0c outside vs 20c+ in your house my man... think about it. ;)

Bingo! I open the window and put a house fan blowing cold air in during the winter. Helps even air cooled GPU scores get better!

And this last winter I was doing it at 10°F a few times :D

umm, any cold winter day will do. 0c outside vs 20c+ in your house my man... think about it. ;)

Bingo! I open the window and put a house fan blowing cold air in during the winter. Helps even air cooled GPU scores get better!

I agree with both of you to a point, even 10 F air will be helpful but I have a feeling it's not going to be "Extreme" enough for OGMCVilleTC. Though it will be helpful if OGMCVilleTC did get a Cpu Pot and put the Gpu under cold water. I was able to get this OC on my GTX 780 with +6 c water and some volt mods.
Capture7.PNG

OP could do this with his air cooler and get the same results. No need to drop a few Benjamins for that. A CPU pot on the other hand. Mo-betta!

OP could do this with his air cooler and get the same results. No need to drop a few Benjamins for that. A CPU pot on the other hand. Mo-betta!

I know I wouldn't have been able to run my 8350 at 5.5 on any air cooler, even in the ambient I was running.
Not saying he couldn't do a lot with cold air and a big heatsink, but some of these space heaters really need a block.

I'm just not sure I have enough room in my case for any rads. It's cramped as it is. Would a Corsair air 540 be better for water cooling? I've settled on getting a pot. Just need to check out the ones listed at the link and decide which one.

I'm just not sure I have enough room in my case for any rads. It's cramped as it is. Would a Corsair air 540 be better for water cooling? I've settled on getting a pot. Just need to check out the ones listed at the link and decide which one.

See my sig, it has a build log of custom water in an Air 540.

ATM that was the original case I wanted but was attracted by the flashy lights of the storm trooper. Real quick question. Could it accommodate alphacool Nexxos Monsta?

Back