• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP DL585 G6 for random home use/gaming/servers, GPU Suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZeroHour

I've an HP DL585 G6 I just 'had to try' and though at this point in the year I need to get rid of it I seem to be stuck with it. Looking to hear some suggestions as far as adding a gpu. I don't suspect the full pci-e slots @ x8 lanes will be any issue. I've done some searches and looked over some forums in relation to adding a GPU with an external power supply. I concluded an external atx psu rigged to work as aesthetically pleasing as that would be, is a hazard/risk. I haven't found anything on folks using a 12v psu specifically designed with just one or two 6-8 pin connectors for this very thing though. My other option I'm debating is the EVGA 740 2gb 128bit GDDR5 low pro non-external power version. It was the best I found spec wise without requiring power.

I've been using it just for plex a while because I'm lazy but lately putting it to some use since it's just sitting there. I stuck a noname 5570 in there and reduced Dying Light to gross settings so it'd run. GTA 5 runs pretty sweet at low. Steam trucks along and I believe I'm using win7 360 controller drivers so the Server 2012 does everything and then some

HP DL585 G6
(4) Opteron 8439SE 2.8ghz Hexcores
128gb ram
1tb raid of 8 146gb 10k rpm SAS
Radeon 5570
Windows Server 2012

I "have" one of these intended to use it as the head for a xen/zfs on linux but it was far to loud and hot.
striped it for parts. For some reason I thought it had some 16/16 slots.

You might be able to find some riser cards you can swap in for full x16 speeds, but that will depends on server specs. As for GPU in the server, unless you have extra plugs specifically for GPU support, I would not advise trying to rig something together. Like you mentioned earlier, having and ATX PSU randomly attached would not be ascetically pleasing. You will have better luck with a GPU that does not require supplemental power.

I've worked on some servers that support GPUs and they have the plugs on the riser cards for the PCIe power support.
I just got a HP DL380 G7 from work and unfortunately I'm in the same boat with no GPU support.

You will likely end up with a low end or mid-range card, but better than burning out the machine trying to hot wire something together.

You might have some luck with a GTX 750 card too, like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127836

Back