• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advice from the gods :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thought it was a steal glad i got them .... would any of you guys possibly know if these would use more or less power than the 480s
The rated TDP on them are both 250w stock but if I recall correctly, those GTX 480's were closer to 300w at stock clocks. My GTX 580 is supposedly 250w TDP, which i have found hard to believe. I use a watt meter from time to time, during normal usage and benching and the numbers I've seen when running it make me :shock:

Yup, the 780s will run more efficient than the power sucking, nuclear heat generating, jet engine sounding GTX 480s. I had two of them on air. My single GTX 780 Classified Hydro Copper rightfully replaced both of them on my main rig. Have never looked back since.

I forgot to add, since the GTX 480s, they've been replaced (RMA'd) to GTX 760s. I saved lots of money on that Car Insur.......wait, electricity bill.

LOL GTXJB tell us how u really feel. :D :thup:

Don't even get me started on the R9 290X.

Yup, the 780s will run more efficient than the power sucking, nuclear heat generating, jet engine sounding GTX 480s. I had two of them on air. My single GTX 780 Classified Hydro Copper rightfully replaced both of them on my main rig. Have never looked back since.

this made me giggle lol ... they're for sure power hungry (power company loved me) and seem to run hotter than the 780's but i had mine under water so never had the jet issue

- - - Updated - - -

The rated TDP on them are both 250w stock but if I recall correctly, those GTX 480's were closer to 300w at stock clocks. My GTX 580 is supposedly 250w TDP, which i have found hard to believe. I use a watt meter from time to time, during normal usage and benching and the numbers I've seen when running it make me :shock:

so with me over clocking to 907mhz they would have sucked even more ? i think i need to invest in watt meter myself although im worried i to may end up with bug eye syndrome :p

How's this for :shock: running 3D Mark Vantage with my Fx 8350 @ 52xx Mhz and the GTX 580 oced to 980/2200 with only the voltage Msi AB allows no extra mods. Now that's 821 w from the wall, but you need to take into account the Watt O meter isn't 100% accurate and also the PSU efficiency but still. IMG_3851a.jpg

How's this for :shock: running 3D Mark Vantage with my Fx 8350 @ 52xx Mhz and the GTX 580 oced to 980/2200 with only the voltage Msi AB allows no extra mods. Now that's 821 w from the wall, but you need to take into account the Watt O meter isn't 100% accurate and also the PSU efficiency but still. View attachment 168306

holy cow !!! .....so then ur probably only pulling 820 watts >? :p .... gonna have to get one as im gonna start going higher with 780's clocks thinking i may pull a bit of power myself with fx-9590 and the 2 780s

gonna have to get one as im gonna start going higher with 780's clocks thinking i may pull a bit of power myself with fx-9590 and the 2 780s
I can tell you this, I do not think the 9590 at stock is a 220w chip as they say it is. My 8350 at 4.7 on all 8 with 1.46 V is pulling near 400w for the total system under load from the wall. Id bet the 9590 is closer to 300w at stock then it is to 220w.

that would make sense as towards the end of my power bill round the time i went to the fx 9590 i noticed an increase in consumption ... i only had a 1090t @ 3.8ghz beforehand

I think it pays off after a few years of usage to pay a bit extra for an intel CPU. I do love competition don't get me wrong but AMD needs to step it up.

yeah intel chip would be nice but cant justify 700$ on cpu... and kinda hoping AMD can pull that gap back slightly with zen guess im a fanboy idiot lol

Back