• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BUILD ADVICE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smmachnik

Hello all,

I almost have all of my parts for my simple gaming build. I have not done a build since I was like 15 (10 years ago). I'm sure I will be just fine with this one but wondering if anyone has a link to a decent guide out there? Or would anyone recommend I literally just follow manuals with the components? Just want to have some backing while throwing this together so I don't miss anything. Also, when it's time to build: should I initially be using my display through onboard graphics? or can I connect straight to my 960GPU then just install the drivers?

Thanks!

There's hundreds (thousands?) of videos on youtube for how to put together a computer. Not much has changed in the last 10 years, just maybe some new connectors, but same principle applies -- if you can play with legos you can put together a computer.

Here's one example:

You are fine to use the graphics card during OS install then install drivers afterwards.

We all have our own specific methods for assembling a computer, based on personal experience and the components used. Here are a few tips that I have found made the process easier:

1) Test the main components (motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU and primary storage drive) outside of the case, on the motherboard box, before final assembly with the stock cooling solution. This way, it's easier to troubleshoot issues, and you don't have to completely disassemble your work if there is a malfunctioning component. I also like to install the OS and drivers while in this state, and run a stress test on the CPU and GPU, to confirm that everything is working correctly.

2) If you have a modular PSU, I find it easiest to install the mainboard, and then run the cables. This way, you don't have to work around components like drives, the PSU itself and video cards. Don't tie anything down until everything is installed. This mostly applies to mid-tower and smaller builds, but works well with the larger builds as well.

3) Once everything is installed and confirmed working, look at all of the cables, and make sure that none of them are obstructing airflow. Rearrange as necessary, and then tie all of the cables down.

I make sure I have a real good flashlight, a long Phillips and short Phillips screwdrivers, needle nose pliers and tweezers for the front panel connectors.

Get ready for some level of frustration lol... Every build that I've done after taking time off I either forget something stupid and have to rebuild the entire PC thinking I screwed up OR something arrived DOA and I have to troubleshoot to figure it out. If you follow some of the great build videos on eBay and order parts from places like Newegg (make sure you check what kind of warranty is offered) and realize that all companies are not created equal then you'll be fine. Remember some companies have amazing warranties that seem too good to be true, that's because their customer service is AWFUL and they know you'll give up before collecting.

Remember the adage, "You get what you pay for"? That couldn't be more true in building a computer. Somethings you can skimp on, but it's very important to know what.

I would get a UPS if you don't have one....CYBERPOWER or TRIPPLITE. Protect what you buy!

I make sure I have a real good flashlight, a long Phillips and short Phillips screwdrivers, needle nose pliers and tweezers for the front panel connectors.

And a magnifying glass. Reading the stuff printed on a PCB can be challenging.

Back