• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You are going to have a good laugh at me for this one

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bayflats

Registered
So as the title suggests - a completely self inflicted wound here. But first some background.

I have a Logitech G19 keyboard which suddenly stopped working. All the keys unresponsive, G keys, CAPS, everything except the volume wheel was completely unresponsive. So using my Logitech G9x mouse and the on screen keyboard I navigate past the lock screen into Windows and try rebooting, reinstalling etc with no luck. Then I try to uninstall the Logitech Gaming Software in order to reinstall it. As soon as I uninstall the software it also knocks out my mouse and now I have no input devices at all to get past the lock screen!!

Needless to say I am a bit stuck. Will buying a new mouse solve the problem? Where will the new drivers come from? And beyond that - what the hell is up with my keyboard? Has anyone else come across this before?

I feel like a right muppet.

Well, plugging in any other mouse/keyboard will force Windows to install some default drivers, so yes, you can still get back in.

As far as what may have happened to your keyboard, you'd need to do some testing to find out. I haven't a clue why just the volume key works, and the rest don't, other then the very broad answer of hardware or software failure.

Even without software that mouse should have basic functionality with just the standard windows driver.
Me is thinking not so much hardware failure, but OS corruption.

I would try plugging the keyboard and mouse into another computer. If it works on that, my guess is the same as Mr.Scott's: OS corruption.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I don't have another PC to test on and neither do I have another keyboard or mouse.

I was wondering - how can I get into the BIOS if I can't press Del or F8?

Go down to the Good Will store and buy a used usb keyboard and mouse for $5 in order to give you back some navigation ability until you can solve this.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I don't have another PC to test on and neither do I have another keyboard or mouse.

I was wondering - how can I get into the BIOS if I can't press Del or F8?

That's what we were wondering -- if you are able to get into the BIOS when hitting DEL on boot, if so, then your keyboard is fine and there's a problem with the OS. If not, then the keyboard has an issue.

That's what we were wondering -- if you are able to get into the BIOS when hitting DEL on boot, if so, then your keyboard is fine and there's a problem with the OS. If not, then the keyboard has an issue.

This +1

Only problem I had with the G19 is that there is a ground wire located under the Backlight button and if it gets loose it will constantly cycle your keyboard on and off. I couldn't imagine the KB not working and the Mouse going out also without it being OS or MB related. Have you tried using it in different USB slots?

Hi All,

I am pretty sure the mouse is fine. It stopped responding the moment I uninstalled the Logitech software. At the moment the top lights are on (displaying the mouse speed), but the laser pointer at the bottom is not on. Also during bootup I can see the system picks up 1 keyboard and 1 mouse. So it knows they are there.

The keyboard does work - in that I was able to get into the BIOS. Once there I could tab through the options. So from reading the replies the suspicion is OS corruption. Would buying a new keyboard solve the issue if the problem is the OS? Prior to uninstalling the Logitech software when only the mouse was working the OS seemed fine and there were no other glitches that I could see.

I have tried lots of different USB slots, power cycling, reconnecting at Win screen - all no good.

Reinstalling the OS will fix the OS, not buying a new keyboard...

I was able to use the mouse and keyboard as I navigated through the advanced start up options and booted up in safe mode but again even in safe mode the keyboard and mouse stopped working at the login screen.

Is there a way to force the OS to forget the existing devices and go through its driver database and reinstall them? Maybe the OS still remembers that these specific devices should have the Logitech Software somewhere (which I uninstalled) and so never looks in its database to reinstall.

One of the reasons I am reluctant to reinstall the OS is that I have a ton of files that are saved to the desktop. I have a restore point from maybe a year ago. Would that be the first thing to try? I also saw a recovery mode that looks like it reinstalls Win but keeps the files. Is that the second option?

Is there a way to force the OS to forget the existing devices and go through its driver database and reinstall them?

Yes. Go to the device manager and uninstall both the keyboard and mouse and re-boot. If drivers are available it will install them on boot. If there aren't any, you're looking at at least a repair install.

Sorry for the delay - I had been traveling.

I was able to reload an old restore point so that restored my mouse but not the keyboard. I bought a new wired generic USB mouse and keyboard and plugged them in. However neither of them worked. The same issue of all devices working (inc new ones) during BIOS remains, so now I am convinced that it is a software issue. I just can't find the drivers for them anywhere and Windows is not downloading the required driver from its database.

It sounds crazy that I need to reinstall Windows in order to get a silly keyboard to work.

Mr Scott, if I uninstall the mouse that will take me back to where I began. I don't think that this solution will work given that the new keyboard didn't install properly. What do you think? I have tried Safe Mode without luck .

Thanks

Yes, tried all ports, failed on all ports

Edit : tried uninstalling from device manager - everything except mouse. As soon as I plugged me in they automatically got picked up rather than reloaded. Is there a memory that needs to be cleared? Also, all the devices except the G9x mouse is stated as Unspecified.

Since two keyboards are doing the same thing, try to hold down a key to see if it triggers. There is an easy option to enable where you must hold a key down for it to register, speaking from experience.

Why in the world are you not backing up your important data!? I mean, for reasons like this, where a simple reinstall would save you time and headaches for something as trivial as keyboard issues. A simple $50 external HDD and a backup plan is all you need. Even an internal drive to save all of your data on would help. Sorry to seem like I'm lecturing, but these are the reasons for backups (well, that and unexpected hardware failure).

I would test out Thideras' theory, and if that doesn't work, you'll probably have to buy a storage drive, be it internal or external, and back up your important data in preparation for a reinstall of Windows. If you're familiar with a Linux distro, use it in live mode from a CD/DVD/USB stick to copy the files you need to the storage drive. If you're not familiar, I can give you detailed instructions on my recovery distro of choice.

Back