• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i reset my ip address?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's how it would work, may try unplugging for a longer period of time.

It depends on your ISP. Some have "sticky" IPs where they don't change often. I had the same IP for over 5yrs then one day it magically changed. The only other way to get a different IP is with a different MAC address on your internet device, since this is usually how IPs are assigned.

If you have an IP that has a 'lease' on it like was mentioned above, you can temporarily change the mac address to force an IP change. But I would try the commands first.

Make sure you're connected via Ethernet directly to the modem when you run the commands, otherwise you'll just get a new IP from your router.

Resetting the modem should also generate a new ip address as well. But, I would run the commands first.

That's how it would work, may try unplugging for a longer period of time.
tried for 35 min again tonight.
On your command line...

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
tried that
It depends on your ISP. Some have "sticky" IPs where they don't change often. I had the same IP for over 5yrs then one day it magically changed. The only other way to get a different IP is with a different MAC address on your internet device, since this is usually how IPs are assigned.

If you have an IP that has a 'lease' on it like was mentioned above, you can temporarily change the mac address to force an IP change. But I would try the commands first.
how do i change the mac address?
Make sure you're connected via Ethernet directly to the modem when you run the commands, otherwise you'll just get a new IP from your router.
its an xfinity modem/router.
Resetting the modem should also generate a new ip address as well. But, I would run the commands first.

It doesn't matter who provided the modem. If you disconnect the power cord from the modem wait about 30 seconds, the modem should reset. If it doesn't, there is a small hole at the back of the modem, put a paper clip in that hole, and the modem will reset.

It doesn't matter who provided the modem. If you disconnect the power cord from the modem wait about 30 seconds, the modem should reset. If it doesn't, there is a small hole at the back of the modem, put a paper clip in that hole, and the modem will reset.

that didnt work

Last edited:
Rarely do ISPs provide static IP addresses to residential customers. A static IP assigned by an ISP are for business class services.

OP, post the first 2 octets of your IP, I as well as others want to see if you have a router IP, ie 192, 172, or if you have a private IP, ie 10, or if you actually have a legit IP from your ISP.

Depends on what type of connection he has. He did not state. As far as I know DSL connections are static.

Rarely do ISPs provide static IP addresses to residential customers. A static IP assigned by an ISP are for business class services.

OP, post the first 2 octets of your IP, I as well as others want to see if you have a router IP, ie 192, 172, or if you have a private IP, ie 10, or if you actually have a legit IP from your ISP.
by two octets? fe80:ea3e i think
Depends on what type of connection he has. He did not state. As far as I know DSL connections are static.

cable internet not dsl

Last edited:
my modem has an option in the control page for me to select to release/renew IP address.
maybe look for a similar option on yours

my modem has an option in the control page for me to select to release/renew IP address.
maybe look for a similar option on yours

i dont see that optiom its xfinity and its a tg682g.. hopefully someone will ecemtually have an answer here

Back