• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody want to try an experiment?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TuKr

Alright so i have never gone below 0C, but i was lounging around at work and thought of a way to fight condensation (i think). So here is my idea....

What if you took a container, slightly larger than your motherboard, and filled it with mineral oil, then set your mobo, with your pot attached,and components in it. Because the oil is non conductive and your container would now be the part that develops condensation could you hold better temps longer and not worry about killing your mobo with condensation?

Just a thought i had. Let me know what you think.

Oil will absorb all the cold from the pot... pointless. Condensation is really not that scary, liquid insulation tape or some lacquer will do the job. Personally I don't use anything except armaflex insulation, because all of this stuff leaves board messy, armaflex not.

Messy as heck. Nkt sure how mineral oil reacts to such cold temps either...
Edit: it's freezing point is -30c so, that won't work as it would end up in a block of ice.

Mineral oil pcs I have seen, but again, just a mess and nkt worth it there.

It would be super messy, frozen wouldnt be a problem, then its insulation lol. Just a crazy thought i had. Thanks for the input

TuKr, as the gents above said, sub ambient benching isn't that scary if you take precautions. Liquid erasure, Clear Nail polish, Frost King, Armaflex, and Erasure all go a long way in preventing problems. What makes it even better is the look you get when one asks their significant other if you can borrow their Clear Nail polish. :D

It would be super messy, frozen wouldnt be a problem, then its insulation lol. Just a crazy thought i had. Thanks for the input
Then its the same difference as without mineral oil if you are insulating, right? So why add the messy mineral oil? ;)

Back