• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about fittings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I'm gearing up to build my first custom water loop and have been reading the sticky for this section.

I have a question about installing fittings. Specifically, plastic barbs. Do you need to use plumber's tape or plumber's dope on the threads to ensure they seal like you do with pipe fittings?

I'm gearing up to build my first custom water loop and have been reading the sticky for this section.

I have a question about installing fittings. Specifically, plastic barbs. Do you need to use plumber's tape or plumber's dope on the threads to ensure they seal like you do with pipe fittings?
I used plastic barbs on my Thermochill Pa 3.120 and used pipe dope on them. I can't say if they needed it or not but I wasn't taking any chances. So far I haven't had any issues with leaks or water contamination.

Threads on radiators and WCing parts are BSPP G1/4, That's I bet a 100% worldwide standard for WCing parts now. Meaning parallel threads. They are not tapered BSP or NPT threads. You don't need pipe dope or tape. It's the o-ring that does the sealing. Make sure you're using the correct fitting thread for your water cooling parts.

Mandrake, my PA 120.3 from ohh 2007 was BSPP G3/8 before they went to BSPP G1/4. What about yours?

I use plumbers tape on all my fittings for added measure. I know I don't have too but feels good to take the extra cautious step.

Threads on radiators and WCing parts are BSPP G1/4, That's I bet a 100% worldwide standard for WCing parts now. Meaning parallel threads. They are not tapered BSP or NPT threads. You don't need pipe dope or tape. It's the o-ring that does the sealing. Make sure you're using the correct fitting thread for your water cooling parts.

Mandrake, my PA 120.3 from ohh 2007 was BSPP G3/8 before they went to BSPP G1/4. What about yours?
Mine is G 3/8 as well Conumdrum, still a darn good radiator also. Nice to see you still hanging around. :thup:

So the fittings have an O ring seal? Didn't know that.

I bought G3/8 to G1/4 adapters years ago. They are BSPP. Fittings are easy to buy now. The OP just needs to learn abit more, we all did in the first time.

Trents, all WC fittings have an o ring these days. Not like the old DYI stuff back in 2000 to 2005.

Any reputed water cooling manufacturer or etail shop like PCS or Frozen will have any fitting you need with seals on them unless like Con said, are some DYI type plumbing stuff.

Ah! That explains why their online order form didn't work for me the other day.

I'd be leery about shopping at Frozen after all the shenanigans that went on there.

Back