• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock FX-6300 on gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coffe22

Hi!

So as the title i says im going to overclock my FX-6300 (Noctua NH-U9B Cooler + good airflow in my case) and i would appreciate any help i can get since i browsed the web and YouTube for the last 3 weeks and yet i have some questions that i can't find answers to.

So i know the basics of overclocking such voltage, bus speed, multipler, stress testing and such tings.

First question: what temps shold i have at 100% load?

Second question: what voltages should i change? Vcore, VID and/or CPU NB voltage

Third question: what settings in BIOS Should i change and what does they do?

Thanks for any answer im noob at this so any help is very much appreciated.

A post with some bios pics and getting around to knowing what temp is what.

GA-970A-DS3P / FX-6300 Overclocking help

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
2CPUz CPU Tab.jpeg

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
3CPUz MEM Tab.jpeg

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
4CPUz SPD Tab.jpeg

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

HWMonitor Free
1HWMon.jpeg

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Step by Step HowTo Attach files to forum with pictures.
HowTo Attach Files to the forum.

Last edited:
Hi!

So as the title i says im going to overclock my FX-6300 (Noctua NH-U9B Cooler + good airflow in my case) and i would appreciate any help i can get since i browsed the web and YouTube for the last 3 weeks and yet i have some questions that i can't find answers to.

So i know the basics of overclocking such voltage, bus speed, multipler, stress testing and such tings.

First question: what temps shold i have at 100% load? Keep it under 65c

Second question: what voltages should i change? Vcore, VID and/or CPU NB voltage Change V-core for multiplier only overclocking

Third question: what settings in BIOS Should i change and what does they do? Depends on what kind of overclock your doing. If Cpu multiplier only, then v-core and cpu multiplier

Thanks for any answer im noob at this so any help is very much appreciated.

Hi!

First i want to thank both ShrimpBrime and RGone for responding.
Now i have taken screenshots of cpu-z and HWmonitor but my BIOS pictures that i took on my phone would`nt attach on my reply so i will get thoose Pictures as soon as i can. When i took theese pictures the P95 had been running at small FFT test for 30 min without any errors and i used the bios settings that you told me to and had +0.200 vcore voltage in BIOS so i guess you can call this an kinda stable overclock that i can use as starting point (correct me if i`m wrong)
And what should i put LoadLineCalibration to? auto, regular or extreme?
So once again thank you both for response.

20150727_121636-1.jpg 20150727_121650-1-1.jpg 20150727_121657-1.jpg 20150727_121702-1.jpg

Here are the BIOS pictures (hopefully)

I hade to cut the pictures because they where to big but everything that matters is on the pictures.

1. HWMonitor Free needs to show ALL the voltages from the top, so can see CPU Voltage also.

2. P95 mode to run is BLEND mode and not Small FFTs.

3. Don't really care about Utiilizations or Clocks but if you show them still want all the Voltages scrolled and the image lengthened so all voltages are visible.

4. Cpu Temp shows 60c as Max and Value=Now of 60c. Could go to 72c. However you
must also look at the Package Temp which is relative to inner core temp and it shows
to be 56c and the suggested MAX there is 62c so you have only a few C of temp more room there. Meaning with current cooling you do n0t have a lot more room to raise speed and voltage without then exceeding the recommended TEMPS. A little room left on CPU Package temp but need to make sure you do not go over suggested temps.

5. Not seeing the Cpu Voltages it is hard to say what else to do other than raise multiplier by 0.5 and Run P95 Blend mode for at least 20 mins without error with HWMonitor Free open logging and then attach images again. Probably will need to increase Cpu Voltage by the time you reach 4.3GHz but need to ensure Temps not over suggeted Max readings.

That is about what happens in overclocking FX processor. Up cpu speed. Add Voltage to get P95 Blend mode stable. Make sure Temps are not excessive and when close to max temps and/or volts...Run P95 Blend mode for at least 2 hours without error to check for stability which would be n0 errors in P95 Blend mode.

RGone...

Ahh ok thanks for the information. I will post new pictures when i have overclocked a bit further.
So last question, what is the difference VID voltage and vcore voltage?

VID is the voltage programmed into the CPU. It tell the motherboard where to set things for running the different PStates. V-Core is the actual voltage that the CPU is running at currently. As example a CPU might have a VID for the 20x PState of 1.32v the VID can't be altered it's right in the CPU. The 20xPstate is at 4000MHZ (20x200) you might be able to run 4.0GHz at 1.26v so you're setting the V_Core lower than the CPUs VID for that speed. Is this making sense ?

OK thanks for clearing that out. My very last question is what does all the BIOS settings do? And are there any of them that you can turn on when done overclocking?

Back