• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 BOOT_LED red light, the current bios settings do not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ambision

Hello guys ;-)
First - thank you for supporting and contributing from your own knowledge, time and experience. It is much appreciated!

Now for the issue:

I own a An ASUS SABERTOOTH 990X REV 2.0 motherboard, coupled wit an AMD FX 8350 CPU.

I had a regular corsair H55 water cooler with a "push & pull" config on it. Therefore, I tried to overclock the rig from 4Ghz at stock to 4800Ghz.

when testing it with prime 95, the system would get ridiculously hot - up to 79C(!) after about 3 minutes of run-time when I had to terminate the test.

Also, I've seen that the frequency would throttle down drastically to cope with the temperature I guess. So I thought the safeguards on the CPU+Mobo were keeping it all together.

Then, I got the corsair H100i with 2 additional Noctua 3000 RPM fans in a "push&pull" config.

The system booted up fine, and worked well, so I tried to push it to 5Ghz with a custom Vcore of 1.47 volts.

It became unstable and the screen kept freezing with every little thing I tried to do.

After the freezing issue, the system kept hanging for up to 20 seconds on boot with a strange "lateral bar" like this: [ _ ] flashing.

Then, I reverted back to default optimized settings and... well... I got the following message in bios: "the current bios settings do not fully support the boot device". With that I saw a "BOOT_LED red light" on the mobo always on.

Because I run RAID 0 array I wanted to ask(I already changed the sata to RAID mode):

1. Can it be that I was stupid enough to burn the cpu/mobo just from a single bad OC session?
2. IS it possible that in some way I damaged the components physically by not working on the cooler replacement whilst being grounded or something?
3. Is there a chance that in a coincidence the Raid array just permanently crashed?

How can I know?

What can I do?

I already cleared the bios, flashed it and cleared CMOS.

Any suggestions would be welcomed :-///

Can you get to the raid utility to see if the raid array is still present?

I had a regular corsair H55 water cooler with a "push & pull" config on it. Therefore, I tried to overclock the rig from 4Ghz at stock to 4800Ghz. << Was not nearly enough cooling.

Then, I got the corsair H100i with 2 additional Noctua 3000 RPM fans in a "push&pull" config. << Most likely 'still not' enough cooling to run 5.0GHz stable. Maybe 4.7-4.8GHz stable with good air circulating in cpu case.

so I tried to push it to 5Ghz with a custom Vcore of 1.47 volts. << Not likely anywhere near enough cpu voltage. More likely on the order of 1.49V or close thereto.

Have you removed the power cord from the wall outlet and removed the battery and jumpered the CMOS jumper to the 'clear' CMOS position (normally pins 2 & 3) and then in order put the battery back in and then moved the CMOS jumper back to pins 1 & 2 and then plugged power cord back in and tried to boot to the bios and checked to see if the HDD setting was for RAID since you are using RAID? Have you done that?

Need to know if that will clear your problem before going on to other testing.

RGone...

Last edited:
I think Rgone has his finger on the right button.
the h 100I might not get the job done at 5.0.
don't make big leaps in clocks, 0.5 on the multi at a time, get it stable at each step.
don't be shocked if you can't make 5.0, many newer chips just can't do 5.0.

Back