• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC panel, VGA Hotwire, and Enableing LN2 Mode on Asus Matrix Platinums....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TuKr

Alright, So because I had such a hard time finding information on this, I figured I would Type this out. This whole endeavor started because i wanted to use my OC panel to control the VGA hotwire functions on my TI's. So Beginning there...
First let me say that any Damage you do to your PC, Your Components, Or to yourself, I accept no Responsibility for. Or anything resulting in something that you are upset about. Overclock and mod your hardware at your own risk!!
Now that that is out of the way...

I started by getting all of the measurements i needed. I ran the wiring i was gonna use from the cards, to the OC panel outside of my case. Then i removed the cards and began my prep work.
First, I used some Header pins for termination points on the cards, It makes all of them removable and gives a bit cleaner of a look IMO.:p 20150726_222808.jpg

They are just generic Pins usually found in the DIY section of your local Electronics store. I removed the pins from their plastic holder normally used when soldering Through-hole stuff.
20150726_222819.jpg

I added a little bit of solder to the VGA hotwire holes on the 780's and then held the pins on top of the solder spot with pliers, while pressing down lightly, touched my iron to it, and they slid right in allowing me to pick the depth.
20150726_222553.jpg

After that I cut them Clean on the opposite side.
20150726_222559.jpg

If you are enabling LN2 Mode don't for get to short those pads. I did not have to remove any of the screw or hardware to enable LN2 mode, there is no need to search for PGR152.
20150727_012843.jpg

Using the wires that i measured earlier, I cut the Female terminals that I had laying around 20150726_222642.jpg
(also available from your DIY Store)
and soldered them on to the ends of the wires adding a total of about 8 inches. 20150726_225111.jpg
Then I used a Ziptie to hold them together and Sleeved them, 20150726_225154.jpg
adding heatshrink to to keep the sleeving in place. 20150726_225557.jpg
I had to leave a little bit of the Wire Hanging out so i could bend the wire and see which wire was going where to connect the OC Panel to the cards properly.

I reinstalled the cards, tucking the new wires behind the SLI Bridge. 20150726_231326.jpg
I used the Tubing ports on my case to run the wires through. Then I wrote down which wire goes where, and connected them. The OC Panel has the headers labeled as well as the cards do.
GPU =CORE
MEM=MEM
PLL = PLL

On the OC panel The red Header is for Voltage changes and the Black Header is for Monitoring.
VGA.PNG

20150726_235414.jpg
With everything in order and attached it was time to kick the machine on.
After Toying with the settings a little bit i got curious about what exactly LN2 Mode would allow me to do.
I was just going to use the OC panel as a way to monitor what voltages were being used when but then As I was looking through forums trying to find what exactly I needed to do I stumbled across a few specs

Standard mode
VGPU 1.2V
VMEM 1.65V
VPLL 1.1V

LN2 mode
VGPU 1.8V
VMEM 2.2V
VPLL 1.4V

So I figured why not use the full functionality of VGA Hotwire. LN2 mode allows the voltage changes to happen Through VGA hotwire.
If you have made it this far and you have your pads shorted, but you still cannot adjust your settings past the original spec, Its because of a sneaky little switch.
20150727_012920.jpg
Just to the right of the SLI Bridge, in the boxes, there is this
20150727_012906.jpg
A tiny LN2 switch.
Within GPUTweakII you need to click on settings and under Tuning settings, select "overclocking range enhancement" GPUtweak.PNG

Here are the Maximum settings within GPUTweakII
gputweak2.PNG

This is GPUTweak(1) in LN2 Mode
GPUtweak1.PNG
I found that using the newest version(2.8.2.0) of the Original GPU Tweak unlocks the Core Clock. Click Settings, Then select the tune tab, Then select Tune setting and check "Overclocking range Enhancement".
gpuT1UNpex.PNG

And that is pretty much all of it, Any questions please ask
Also, There is a lot of information on this over at KingpinCooling Forums, And a little bit was found about the OC panel in some old ROG threads. Happy overclocking Everybody. :thup:

Last edited:
Nice work!

How much more did you get out of it on air with that mod?

Last edited:
Nice work!

How much more did you get out of it on air with that mod?

Well the Core is still locked at a max of 1272. I managed to reach it @1.278V
I benched it using MSI Kombuster-Plasma 1M particle
my specs for the pic are
XCore-1272
Vcore-1.281
Pex-1.060
mem-7892
Vmem-1.64
PTar-110%
MaxTemp-83C
llc-100%
VrmCl-1K
Im not sure why the VRM was set to 1k but i didn't change it for any of the test, 700 seems to be standard setting outside of LN2 mode.
I kept the lower max temp to protect any OV situations from getting too far out of hand.

maxclock.png

Before I switched over to LN2 mode I managed to get to 8820@147 FPS.. Those settings were,
XCore-1222
Vcore-1213
pex-1080(dunno if i really needed that)
mem-7932
Vmem- 1.65(probably a bit high)
PTar- 110%
Maxtemp-95C
LLC-100
VRM-700

I can probably take the MEM clock Higher, and that will be the next task.

Last edited:
Nice work TuKr now you just need a pot and Ln2 for the cards. :D

Im beginning to think that will have to happen soon.... I want to at least hit novice league, then get an X-9 Chipset(or Newer depending on cost). I will probably stick to DICE even then because the cost of a Dewar would kill me lol. Also the 3rd round of Asus Formula is coming around soon so i want to be able to compete in that, and you cant be classified under extreme methods to compete in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. Little sense in doing this on air it seems(?).

Im trying to get a good feel on how things react and how my hardware interacts before i step up to newer, more complicated methods. Im trying to learn as much as i can and what to expect from changes and adjustments.

Im trying to get a good feel on how things react and how my hardware interacts before i step up to newer, more complicated methods. Im trying to learn as much as i can and what to expect from changes and adjustments.
That is good! But sometimes your hardware's reactions to things can change wildly with sub ambient cooling methods. So what you learn with a subambient trick while using air cooling, may respond different when cold.

That is good! But sometimes your hardware's reactions to things can change wildly with sub ambient cooling methods. So what you learn with a subambient trick while using air cooling, may respond different when cold.
^^THIS^^^ Only real testing I'll do before going cold for 3D is, finding what driver/LOD settings works best for the card and bench. Good stuff though TuKr, I love that you're modding cards and thinking of Sub ambient 1 month after joining.

^^THIS^^^ Only real testing I'll do before going cold for 3D is, finding what driver/LOD settings works best for the card and bench. Good stuff though TuKr, I love that you're modding cards and thinking of Sub ambient 1 month after joining.

well things like when and how to use slow mode to an advantage, and how pause from OC Panel will allow you to set something then unpause and let it take effect for a screenshot, then pause again then back it down and resume other tasks. what to keep an eye on during testing and what types of limits should be set when. plus from this mod alone, i learned that core is capped at 1272, so LN2 mode is pretty much useless until i find a VBios lol. so far everything i have done has been a learning experience and you guys keep me wanting to push for more so thank you for that. I will probably Push my AMD CPU on Dice before anything else because that is on a bench and this is my full rig. (i need to show it off in a thread) Im still learning about AMD and my first real experiences with AMD came from the 5 hours i had to get a place in RR17. This is all Truly a hobby that never stops being a challenge.

well things like when and how to use slow mode to an advantage, and how pause from OC Panel will allow you to set something then unpause and let it take effect for a screenshot, then pause again then back it down and resume other tasks. what to keep an eye on during testing and what types of limits should be set when. plus from this mod alone, i learned that core is capped at 1272, so LN2 mode is pretty much useless until i find a VBios lol. so far everything i have done has been a learning experience and you guys keep me wanting to push for more so thank you for that. I will probably Push my AMD CPU on Dice before anything else because that is on a bench and this is my full rig. (i need to show it off in a thread) Im still learning about AMD and my first real experiences with AMD came from the 5 hours i had to get a place in RR17. This is all Truly a hobby that never stops being a challenge.
I'm sure there is a mod for the BIOS floating around somewhere. Pushing is what a lot of us do, whether it be our components or someone else. I can't wait to have some time again to bench. Damn family is getting in the way, anyone want a 12 yr old and a wife for a week or two? :p

Just be careful the fundamentals are not missed while you are looking into more advanced items. I love the zeal, but don't want you to get lost in the hardcore stuff before the basics are understood. :)

I Started up the Software again and found out that the Original GPUTweak unlocks the Core multi. I forgot to select overclocking range enhancment last night within that software. :)

Back