• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE OCZ Trion 100 480GB SSD Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

OCZ has put out some great SSD drives over the years. From high-end enthusiast drives in the Vertex and Vector lines to the smoking fast PCIe based Revo drives (and let me tell you, we are looking forward to the PCIe based NVME drives too!). OCZ also has their 'bang for the buck' line in the Agility and new ARC series. Now they have an even more price oriented line in the Trion 100 series. The Trion line of drives are a more 'read performance oriented' series versus write performance when compared to the ARC and other OCZ high-end enthusiast SSDs. SSD drives like this are good for a slew of things, but storage and gaming come to mind first as that's a high read environment with minimal writes. OCZ - A Toshiba group company, sent us the 480 GB Trion 100 to take out for a test drive, and we did just that. Take a look below and check out some of its features, and how it performed in our testing.
Click here to view the article.

When it comes to pricing, the OCZ Trion 100 480 GB comes in at $179.99 at newegg.com. That is a staggering 37 cents per GB people!!

Crucial's MX200 500 GB is also $180, yet better in every measure from transfer rate to endurance...

I suppose it depends on where you look. If we go by this review and look at the like benchmarks in CDM, ATTO, AS SSD, it is generally faster in reads but slower in writes, as advertised, right? I do see a difference in the endurance though, good call.

Looks to be a strong competitor, surely, but 'better in every measure' seems a bit overstated.

Last edited:
Looked at several reviews - so the Trion may get 5-6% better sequential reads (which happen rather less often than "random" reads), but loses out on hundreds of MBps write speed, tens of TBs endurance (which is kind of ridiculous given larger lithography which should have more endurance), 20 GB of space, lots of IOPS, hardware encryption, and 5C maximum operating temperature. Out of curiosity, how long did the write tests run (total size)? Other reviews show writes dropping off a cliff after a short time at the maximum rate.

what i still dont get is why 4k reads are so slow vs its writes. unless all the 4k writes get buffered to the onboard ram then written at once, even then i would expect higher writes. when i see a ssd can do near 100mb/s 4k read, then i will have something to consider replaced what im using now. i dont do a lot of writes to either of my drives but dont see replacing them anytime soon. my vertex-ex 120gb is about to get put back into my x58 rig..

Looked at several reviews - so the Trion may get 5-6% better sequential reads (which happen rather less often than "random" reads), but loses out on hundreds of MBps write speed, tens of TBs endurance (which is kind of ridiculous given larger lithography which should have more endurance), 20 GB of space, lots of IOPS, hardware encryption, and 5C maximum operating temperature. Out of curiosity, how long did the write tests run (total size)? Other reviews show writes dropping off a cliff after a short time at the maximum rate.
All benchmarks we run are at their defaults. At this time, we do not run a sustained writes test. IOMEter is the closest thing to it and it runs for several minutes. I believe I mentioned sustained writes are slower (their specs mention it) in the review?

Like I said, its a strong competitor, but I still wouldn't call it 'better in every measure'. I think the conclusion summed it up fairly well. Is there a drive with better performance in writes, and has some other features this does not. Surely. But does the price "seem to fit with the market"? Yes, it does. Would it be a better deal priced a bit less? Yes, but its pricing isn't out of whack. Also be sure to read how we define "approved" and you may get a better understanding of how I shaped the conclusion.

Also, that drive came out several months ago and was originally priced at $249. So it had time for the price to drop making this comparison valid. If these came out new at the same time, they wouldn't be competing. The market is what it is (now) and they are competing price wise. But it started out competing with the likes of the Vector 460, an enthusiast level drive at a much higher price. Give this drive until January and perhaps the pricing will be where you feel it should be.

Thanks again for the input! :thup:

Last edited:
The market is what it is (now)

Yes, it is, and they need to compete with the prices on the market now, not what they were several months ago. A few tens of MBps of sustained read among hundreds of MBps are pretty much meaningless, yet they're pricing this drive as if those tens of MBps are an amazing feature to counter everything it is missing.

I also kind of doubt the MX200 is the only drive in its class at its price that points and laughs at the Trion 100 - it just happens to be the one off the top of my head because I've bought them.

Last edited:
Back