• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is this hard drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

There is a mysterious hard drive in my pc. I thought at first it was my external hdd but when I unplugged it my external hdd this hard drive was still there. It won't let me delete it and after a format it will only hold 100mb. Hope you guys can help me out, here's a pic.

Attachments

• HDD.png
    HDD.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 132
There is nothing in that hdd, yet I still can't delete it. I read what you posted and if it was a recovery drive wouldn't there be something in it?

Again, its not a recovery drive, its a recovery PARTITION. A drive is NOT a partition, but a drive can have a partition on it.

In personal computers, a partition is a logical division of a hard disk created so that you can have different operating systems on the same hard disk or to create the appearance of having separate hard drives for file management, multiple users, or other purposes.

I have had them show up in explorer but only when multibooting a HDD.

Also, there is something on that HDD, explorer shows you that. When you click on it and see nothing, it is because the (system) files are hidden.

You can't delete it (read that link I posted) without harm coming to your PC. Why would you try to delete it knowing that it will likely jack up your boot?????

Well, I deleted it not knowing that, but it's back. I was told how to hide it in disk management and now it's gone.

- - - Updated - - -

I do however have another ssd question. I used Sandisk ssd dashboard to check on my ssd. It said two things that worried me under S.M.A.R.T.. Relocation Event Count 3 ! and Retired Block Count 3 ! What does this mean?

It means it found 3 bad sectors, relocated the data on them to another, and retired them so they will not be used again.

I wouldn't be deleting drives/partitions if you don't know what they are. In Disk Management, it will show you what drive letter a partition has. Next time it happens, post a screenshot here of Disk Management.

You should be able to remove the drive letter associate with the partition, and it simply won't show up in Explorer.

I wouldn't be deleting drives/partitions if you don't know what they are. In Disk Management, it will show you what drive letter a partition has. Next time it happens, post a screenshot here of Disk Management.

You should be able to remove the drive letter associate with the partition, and it simply won't show up in Explorer.
Is removing the drive letter how I would hide a backup partition? I've got the space so I decided to keep an "onsite" backup and create a partition just to hold different backups ( also have an external backup of the backup :) ) but I don't want other users to monkey around with them. Will a partition like this still be visible to the native backup and restore in win7?

Is removing the drive letter how I would hide a backup partition? I've got the space so I decided to keep an "onsite" backup and create a partition just to hold different backups ( also have an external backup of the backup :) ) but I don't want other users to monkey around with them. Will a partition like this still be visible to the native backup and restore in win7?
If you remove the drive letter, most software wouldn't see the partition. You'd be much better off removing their permission to see/modify the partition.

That looks like it is the 100MB Bitlocker/reserved partition that W7 creates. Though I have never seen it show up in Explorer before.... you must have given it a drive letter I assume?

Looks like that's the case. By default, it has the label "System Reserved" and it don't have any drive letter.

Back