• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Q] Considering Water Cooling - Advice for 1st Timer Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jinda

Registered
Hey guys. So I read the very helpful sticky for beginners and am really wanting to venture into water cooling for some cool reasons...
Seriously, I just really wanna try it and am really liking the challenge etc. Also, I used to be a gaming laptop (I know, i know) enthusiasts for years and just sold it and assembled my PC. Its just really hard to keep myself from adding and adding more into it.

My current setup's main component is:
CPU: i7 4790K
GPU: XFX R9 295X2
PSU: 1000W EVGA G2 Supernova
RAM: 16GB
MB: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming

1. I am currently identifying what types of parts and brands should I get depending on what you guys will recommend based on dependability and of course budget.
  2. Once parts are identified, I'm putting all these into a spreadsheet to see how much it's going to cost me.
  3. Then decisions and ordering
  4. Then here comes the actual work which will surely result to hundreds of questions from me hoping for some help from the community :)

Few initial (dumb) questions:
  1. GPU is already stock watercooled but is it also possible to include it in the loop using the stock block assembly? Like just connecting the in-out stub-outs to the tubes along the loop?
  2. Is it necessary to include the chipset in the loop?
  3. Is it not worth it just cooling the CPU?

My intention is really to have 2 to 3 blocks (CPU, GPU and chipset) but just curious about different options. I dont wanna make this any longer than this so thanks in advance and sorry for long 1st post :D

1. Not without modifying it, no. The barbs are not standard size on the cooler so it wouldn't fit. Besides, there are two pumps on the card already add those to the loop with another, doesn't sound like a good idea.
2. Nope. Nor is ram/power bits either.
3. Worth it isn't up to us... But if you want only the CPU, then grab an AIO cooler and call it a day.

But make note with a 295x2 and the CPU in your loop, you will want at least 4x120mm worth of radiator as you are dissipating nearly 600W of heat. I have a 295x2 and a 5820K with 5x120mm and that is barely enough (when I say enough I mean better than air temps are quieter).

Thanks for the response. Still trying to understand the basic of WC and the terminologies.
About being worth it, yeah, I guess it is if I really want it.

Do you have a pic of your system if its ok? Would really appreciate it.

AIO will be the easiest though but just thinking maybe I can start with cooling the CPU and chip for now and adding the GPU later depending on the budget.
Do you guys usually decide on watercooling with at least 2 blocks or some starts with 1 and add more later?

Again, there is no need to cool the chipset and power delivery areas. Save your money on that front!

See the bottom of my review for pictures of the final product: http://www.overclockers.com/thermaltake-core-x9-case-review/

Id say there are equal mount of both (those that build all at once, those that add in). For a lot of people here, their PC is quite a dynamic thing unlike most users who buy one, get a few years out of it, and buy another (with menial upgrades like ram/hdd).

First and foremost, :welcome: to OCFs.

Happy to hear you've read our intro to water cooling stickies. With that taken care of already, I like to post a simple video to give you a refresh to water cooling. Its straight forward.

With all that said, your next step I would advise is, plan out your loop first before case buying because you'll want to know what exactly you need and with that said, it will make your life easier and make the build look like it was meant to be. Some folks make the mistakes by buying a case that doesn't accommodate the whole loop they end up buying and have things out of place. Take your time as its a fun hobby and expensive one for that matter. lol Did I also say addicting? lol We like to call it the "water cooling bug".

Figure out what your budget is. Plan if you want to do a CPU only loop or do the whole loop. Just think about the CPU and GPU. No need to water cool the chipset. As long as you have decent airflow in the case, it should be taken care of.

Earth already gave you an example of how his system is setup which would be fairly simple to yours while running a cooler CPU chip than his.

Again, there is no need to cool the chipset and power delivery areas. Save your money on that front!

See the bottom of my review for pictures of the final product: http://www.overclockers.com/thermaltake-core-x9-case-review/

Id say there are equal mount of both (those that build all at once, those that add in). For a lot of people here, their PC is quite a dynamic thing unlike most users who buy one, get a few years out of it, and buy another (with menial upgrades like ram/hdd).

Thanks, really appreciate it. I think I'm going to start with just the CPU for now.

First and foremost, :welcome: to OCFs.

Happy to hear you've read our intro to water cooling stickies. With that taken care of already, I like to post a simple video to give you a refresh to water cooling. Its straight forward.

Thank you for the welcome sir! I love Jack Bauer and 24!!!

:attn:

I already assembled my PC before deciding I wanna try water cooling. I have the Corsair Carbide Air 540 for the case. Quite a big one so I thought there should be enough space for me for the WC parts?
I was just about to ask about the WC kits then I saw it from your video :D I am thinking maybe as a beginner, buying a complete kit will be better? Are the components in the kit exactly the same as the one they retail piece by piece?
Also I see a lot of reservoir-pump combos included in kits, are there clear pros/cons between combos vs separate units that someone new like me should think about?

Again thanks to both of your for the help!

Oh I see. Well good news is, the 540 is a great friendly water cooling case. I would advise on seeing other builds with the 540. A few here have done builds with that case. Just slap Alphacool ST30s 360 in the front and a ST30 240 up top and you're pretty much set for rads. Next would be to setup a small res + pump combo on the other side and figure out which tubing size is best to use while routing.

Hey guys. Currently looking for a pump-res combo. Is there a combo that is drive bay mountable but with vertical orientation?
I intend to keep the glass panel of the Air 540 case on the side so the drive bay is oriented vertically.

Thanks!

A sideways res could be an issue that has been designed mainly to fit horizontal in all cases. That's where tube reservoirs come into play.

Most folks find that going with a configuration like the one in the image below, seems to work best.

5zb2.jpg

Yes, give careful consideration in planning your loop first, especially with regard to filling and maintenance. I just built my first custom water loop and it was just for the CPU. Probably overkill but I wanted the experience.

I actually built it then revised it because it was gheto looking with tubes on the outside of the case. If I had to do this over again I would build in the ability to easily remove the reservoir and hang it somewhere that was higher than the pump inlet for convenient refilling after maintenance, which would mean making some of the tubes longer to give that flexibility. After filling it can be put anywhere. Of course, this won't be an issue one way or the other if your reservoir and pump are integrated as in GTXJackBauer's build.

The other piece of advice I would give would be to protect the radiator fins from damage during pre installation prep. I cut to foam pads and strapped them to both sides of the radiator with zip ties so that during the clean out with boiling water and all that shaking I didn't fold over the fins. They are very fragile and every section of damaged, folded over fins reduces cooling surface area. It also made it easier on the hands when holding a hot radiator as you shake it.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys! I'll look into other options and will consider your advises.

Hey guys. Got some questions again:

1. Radiator on top - so I'm planning to get 2x140mm fan/radiator for the CPU. I dont think I can fit a pull/push setup so I'm just planning to have either. If my intention is to blow hot air out from the top, which is better between pull and push?
2. Radiator in front - same 2x140 rad but might do a pull/push since I think I got enough space. Are there recommended RPM for pull/push setup so it wont be so loud? And what RPM is recommended for 1 setup only either pull or push? Or recommended RPM in general.
3. Is a 10 ft tubing enough for this loop? I'm thinking it should be unless I mess up the cutting and measurement.
4. Will there be a difference in the diagrams below when it comes to cooling the GPU? I think I read somewhere that the temp is the same anywhere in the loop but I'm not sure. O means water flowing OUT the socket and I flowing IN. Also do you guys usually put a drain tube? Where do you guys put it?
Zbtccfh.jpg

Thanks in advance guys!

Hey guys. Got some questions again:

1. Radiator on top - so I'm planning to get 2x140mm fan/radiator for the CPU. I dont think I can fit a pull/push setup so I'm just planning to have either. If my intention is to blow hot air out from the top, which is better between pull and push? Push is generally better but oftentimes there is very little difference in the temps one will yield vs. the other and it's generally not a deal breaker either way. Avoid pushing the air coming off the rad back into the case if possible.
2. Radiator in front - same 2x140 rad but might do a pull/push since I think I got enough space. Are there recommended RPM for pull/push setup so it wont be so loud? And what RPM is recommended for 1 setup only either pull or push? Or recommended RPM in general. This is hard to answer because of so many variables. What is the fins per inch density of your radiators? Also, acceptable noise level is a very individual thing and is itself dependent on many variables including the acuity of your hearing and the level of ambient background noise. I would say as a rough guideline that fans with somewhere between 1100 and 1500 rpm generally will provide adequate air pressure while not producing excessive noise. Do your research. You want to get fans with a good static pressure to noise ratio.
3. Is a 10 ft tubing enough for this loop? I'm thinking it should be unless I mess up the cutting and measurement. Should be if you don't make any big mistakes and waste much.
4. Will there be a difference in the diagrams below when it comes to cooling the GPU? No. I think I read somewhere that the temp is the same anywhere in the loop but I'm not sure. O means water flowing OUT the socket and I flowing IN. Also do you guys usually put a drain tube? Where do you guys put it? Best place is the lowest point in the loop.
Zbtccfh.jpg

Thanks in advance guys!

Grab a Alphacool ST30 360 Radiator for your front and a ST30 240mm for your top.

Grab some push OR pull (Not both) premium fans for them, 5 in total. (EK Vanars, Noiseblocker eLoops B12s or AP-53s)

Grab a 10ft retail PrimoChill Advanced LRT with the choice of your color so you'll have more than enough for the sake of errors.

As for the drainage, grab a drain and place it at the lowest point of your loop.

I would like to kindly ask any members that have done this project on a 540 AIR to please post it here. Can't figure which members have but I know they are out there. Have seen quite a few builds here.

Grab a Alphacool ST30 360 Radiator for your front and a ST30 240mm for your top.

Grab some push OR pull (Not both) premium fans for them, 5 in total. (EK Vanars, Noiseblocker eLoops B12s or AP-53s)

Grab a 10ft retail PrimoChill Advanced LRT with the choice of your color so you'll have more than enough for the sake of errors.

As for the drainage, grab a drain and place it at the lowest point of your loop.

I would like to kindly ask any members that have done this project on a 540 AIR to please post it here. Can't figure which members have but I know they are out there. Have seen quite a few builds here.

Guys thanks a lot for the help. I'll see and try to make an estimate based on the above recommendations. I have an initial estimate but I thought I could still reduce the budget.
Would really appreciate some links for WC done on Air 540 or with similar system. Thanks a lot! :D

Hey guys quick question again:

Is my understanding correct that if both radiators have 12 fpi, same thickness and same rpm fans then a 360 that has bigger surface cooling area than 280 will provide better cooling?
This seems to be common sense but sometimes I feel dumb when trying to overthink everything :( I guess I just need confirmation hehe.

Edit: Also what do you call those O-ring like rubbers you see on the thread of compression fittings. Can those be bought separately?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Yep. 280x140 vs 360x120. That is the cooling surface. More surface, more cooling.

I think you can buy them. Ask your retailer. Depends on the brand of fitting probably. If you can measure the exact size of one McMaster-Carr probably has the type and size if the maker/retailer of the fitting won't sell the o-ring separately.

If you want the best fans for rads, grab 120mm size rads and fans.

The rubber thingys on the fittings are actually called o-rings. Depending what fittings were purchased, I have Bitspower for example and have bought a bunch of o-rings to replace them after a while. No complains here and good idea to buy extra o-rings.

Yep. 280x140 vs 360x120. That is the cooling surface. More surface, more cooling.

I think you can buy them. Ask your retailer. Depends on the brand of fitting probably. If you can measure the exact size of one McMaster-Carr probably has the type and size if the maker/retailer of the fitting won't sell the o-ring separately.

Thanks. Yeah I found the O-rings from Bitspower :)

If you want the best fans for rads, grab 120mm size rads and fans.

The rubber thingys on the fittings are actually called o-rings. Depending what fittings were purchased, I have Bitspower for example and have bought a bunch of o-rings to replace them after a while. No complains here and good idea to buy extra o-rings.

So you mean there are more options to choose when it comes to fans if I have a 120mm rad size? I was planning to put 280 on top since I already have 2x140 Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition (comes with the case) but I'm still open to changes.

What are good fans to look at?
Thanks again btw!

Back