• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Relatively good sound using my equipment?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mattyts

Registered
I plan to use some old-ish AV equipment to set up 2 stereo systems (using the same receiver and subwoofer) to use with my computer which has 2 primary uses, playing high quality MP3s and FLACs, and also for gaming.

I have 2 sets of speakers, a pair of Wharfedale CRS3s (100W) and a pair of JPW mini monitors (60W) and I'd like some advice regarding which to use for music and which to use for gaming.

When I'm gaming, I'm usually sat in front of my desk where the speakers are situated so I'm thinking of using the less powerful JPWs because I'll be closer to them and using the Wharfedales for music because they are larger and more powerful (they will be placed 6-8 feet away from where I listen to music)

The Amp/Receiver I'll be using is a Yamaha Rx357 and the subwoofer is an Eltax 60w. The receiver has both optical and analogue inputs.

My questions are,

Which speakers will suit each scenario best?

Which input/output should I use for the receiver and the PC? My on board audio has optical and 3.5mm output so I have choice of either.

Will these compenents be good enough to produce a good quality of sound? I know this isn't audiophile grade equipment but I don't want poor quality audio either.

Use the optical (S/PDIF) connection with digital amplifiers/receivers.

Could you use the better speakers for the front and the less good ones for the rears? If your games support surround, it would make a very big difference to the overall experience.

Use the optical (S/PDIF) connection with digital amplifiers/receivers.

Could you use the better speakers for the front and the less good ones for the rears? If your games support surround, it would make a very big difference to the overall experience.

There isn't enough room for me to run 5.1 as I already have a 5.1 system for home theatre so 2 seperate 2.1 systems is what I've chosen, I'll switch between A/B output on the receiver depending on where I'm seatedseated.
Any opinion on the 2 sets of speakers I have?

Last edited:
Back