• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Light weight web browser for Windows XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rumbl3

Just did a few searches on the web did not really turn up much.

Just curious what light weight browsers for old systems exist?

Recently been into tweaking my old IBM T40 laptop and using it for work and some retro gaming but man browsers chow down all of my ram.

Any suggestions?

It may not be a good idea to install an older version of Firefox but would you see how the latest version of Firefox compares to the latest version of this, then post back the results:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lightfirefox/

EDIT:

I was not aware of this, I would delete my entire post but instead I will edit my post with your quote to serve as a warning and will not post links to sourceforge any more.

Off Topic, but I hesitate to post any links to sourceforge anymore ever since they started bundling malware and spyware in their downloads (similar to cnet/download.com)

Last edited:
It may not be a good idea to install an older version of Firefox but would you see how the latest version of Firefox compares to the latest version of this, then post back the results:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lightfirefox/

Off Topic, but I hesitate to post any links to sourceforge anymore ever since they started bundling malware and spyware in their downloads (similar to cnet/download.com)

C6... any chance you can test it yourself? You have a quad boot and it should be easy versus putting the onus on someone else to answer your question.

Oh, that's not cool from sourceforge, lots of independent developers hosted their stuff there.

I edited my post with your Janus67's quote to serve as a warning and will not post links to sourceforge any more. I did a search to see if there are any actual light versions of Firefox and that came up and it looked like it may help the original poster... Thanks for pointing that out about sourceforge.

Cool thanks for all the suggestions! I tried firefox light and just crashes but I will give km and pale tonight. Chrome eats my ram like candy and Opera runs just under it. Once solution keeping my eye out on my local area facebook swap once in a while someone will post old ram for next to nothing try to scoop up two 512mb sticks or maybe get really lucky and get two 1gb sticks lol.

Also tracked down the last omega drivers that supported my radeon 7500 mobility lol trying to squeeze every bit of performance out of this little beast. Picked up a new battery for 11 bucks from amazing works great. Now I just need to order a new wifi dongle (wifi card in this thing keeps disconnecting constantly and after some research seems to be a well known issue with this card) and dvd rom bay that allows me to install a sata drive. Going to drop my SSD i have left over from my dead desktop.

I got started on this mission after my desktop took a crap it's pretty old beginning phenom 2 era. I used this laptop for elearnings and typing documents snagged it for 20 bucks in decent shape off a swap. I've been wanting to play some retro games and play them on old hardware (imo played D2 on my desktop before it died and it just looked horrible on a wide screen lcd running at that res). Played some quake 2 online, and counter strike. Tried to play diablo 2 lod online blizzard disabled my key.... asked for what reason never cheated/spammed/etc and they can not give me a reason and the both reps said oh well the games cheap just buy another key..... Currently argueing that lol.

So far it's been fun tweaking the system and funny thing you get a lot of attention when using a system like that in a coffee shop lol.

Back