• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for CPU/Motherboard/RAM combination

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zorton_Maverick

Hey All,
Finally upgraded my 660ti to a 980 (with the possibility of going TI via Step up program) and has me thinking about changing my CPU/Mobo.
I am waiting for the forthcoming Skylake announcements, but if the price is too steep, will most likely go the I7-4790K route.

My question is this, what is the best (reliable/performance/etc) Mobo/RAM combination to put with the 4790K ?
I would like to overclock it a little and already have a Noctua NH-D15 for cooling so just looking at getting the 4790k/Mobo/RAM.

Any suggestions welcomed.
Thanks a mill.

There is no clear answer to your question about the best motherboard to pair with th 4790k. There are lots of good choices there. Get something with at least a 6 power phase component rating is my main recommendation. You don't need to spend much more than $100. RAM? Lots of good choices there, too. GSkill is probably the most popular brand. GSkill Ripjaws X 2400 mhz maybe. Don't spend unnecessary money on high speed, low latency RAM. It will not make a piddle's worth of difference in actual performance.

Considering the price stagnations of the previous 3 generations of intel i7's.... wait the week and see what the new i7 will cost and see what the benefits truly are.

Cheers guys for taking the time to respond and the suggestions.
Not sure about ASRock in regards motherboard ? Not one you would see mentioned this way (UK&Ire) much and certainly not a big seller.
The main Motherboards used by the big companies in their OC bundles are Asus, GB and MSI.
I had been looking at - http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/custom/gaming/overclocked-bundles - for a good starting point.

Personally I like EVGA products due to the brilliant aftersales service I have received in the past and was looking at the EVGA Z97 Classified or EVGA Z97 FTW as possibilities?
Anyhow, thanks a again - loads for me to select from !!

EVGA is a great company, but their motherboards are a bit lackluster.

That ASRock board I linked is arguably the best daily usage board on the market.

Nothing but awesome sound, plenty of power for overclocking, SLI/CFX support and top notch components on that board. You could get away with even less if one or more of those things don't matter to you, but it's about the perfect balance of price/performance, and the EXT6 is it.

To be honest, based on reading the after sales service and RMA hardships people encountered using ASRock customer service, I would be too weary to buy one of their products. Also, just read that ASRock and ASUS are both owned by the same parent company {Pegatron}. Not a fan of Asus after sales (from experience) either.

I think the "MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Intel LGA1150 Z97 ATX Motherboard " looks very attractive.
Its only £99 on amazon.co.uk at the moment and seems to do well --

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/msi_z97_sli_krait_motherboard_review/12

Also, its Z87 version only had a 3.65% failure rate ( - 3,65% MSI Z87-G45 GAMING ).
Can't see any downsides to it yet ??

To be honest, based on reading the after sales service and RMA hardships people encountered using ASRock customer service, I would be too weary to buy one of their products. Also, just read that ASRock and ASUS are both owned by the same parent company {Pegatron}. Not a fan of Asus after sales (from experience) either.
Oy... pretty outdated information there friend... particularly the Pegatron/ASUS/ASRock thing. That split was YEARS ago.

You are going to hear horror stories from EVERY return man. People complain more frequently than they praise.

WHile that MSI board will certainly be fine, for the same price, I sure would get the ASRock Z97 Ex6.

Don't get the older chipset. Z97 supports broadwell...

But as Bob mentioned above, wait a week or so until Skylake releases and see what that comes in at and what it does to pricing of broadwell and haswell systems.

I think the "MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Intel LGA1150 Z97 ATX Motherboard " looks very attractive.
Its only £99 on amazon.co.uk at the moment and seems to do well --

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/msi_z97_sli_krait_motherboard_review/12

Also, its Z87 version only had a 3.65% failure rate ( - 3,65% MSI Z87-G45 GAMING ).
Can't see any downsides to it yet ??

Wow, old info here.
ASUS/ASRock/Pegatron haven't been the same company for years.
And, as for their customer service, my RMA experience with them was quick and easy.

Want to see bad customer service? See the ASUS link in my signature.

If those 6700k specs are legit... DEFINITELY go that route... holy crap.

Fwiw I had no trouble with asus rma. Although that crap in bob novas thread was absolute garbage. Love me some saber kitties

@Bob - Yep - like suggested, going to wait for Skylake now.
Really looking forward to it. Have also started the step-up process to a 980TI (they only give you one choice but thats fine), so I have that to look forward to as well.
I'd be tempted to wait until people here have bought the 6700k & relevant mobo/RAM to see what the verdict is (stability, OC, etc) but have the few bob so may just jump onboard as soon as they are available ?
Will update once I have bought something..
Is there a thread on here where forum members have been discussing the new Z170 motherboards ?? Would be interested to read people's thoughts on the board details that have been released thusfar ?

Stability is... it will be stable. They don't sell things that are not stable at stock speeds. I have seen a couple of screenshots on the web about overclocking, but who knows if it was ES or retail.. Only time will tell!

Not much has been released honestly, so there isn't a terrible amount of things to discuss on it, truth be told.

@EarthDog - lol. That certainly make sense - was just looking at the ASUS, ASRock and EVGA Z170 motherboards on WCCF Tech.
I will most likely get whatever is available via amazon.co.uk - I tend to use that site most just to their easy return policy and no fuss refunds/replacement.
Thanks.

If things go like Z97 then the ASRock Extreme4 and Extreme6 will be the "go-to" board for this forum.
I'm pretty sure those two boards were suggested in at least 3/4 of threads for upgrades.

Yeah, that should turn out to be one of the best (if not the best) bang/buck
And the Z97 version was solid as a rock.

Guys,
What DDR4 wpuld you recommend to go with Z170/I7 6700k ?
Also, putting aside the ASRock, which of the following from prev Z97 version would be recommended --

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

MSI Z170A Gaming M7 Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

MSI Z170A Gaming M5 Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

They are all currently in stock and can be ordered with i7-6700k as of now from overclockers.co.uk.
I like the Asus z170 Deluexe but it is already out-of-stock -!

Back