• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird cracking noise coming from mobo after heating up or cool down.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sew333

Hello. I have a problem. When pc is heating up or when cool down i get weird cracking noise coming from mobo.
From that area:
sabertooth_z97_2.jpg

What can it be? Heatsing , plastic noise?

Its sounds exactly like this here:

It's the heatsink popping a little.
Loosen and re-tighten the screws, see if it quits.

If VRM heatsink making that cracking noise ( heating up or cool down ) it is something wrong?

After watching the video and doing a search it seems that is a common problem with the 600 T, so it may not be the motherboard.

After watching the video and doing a search it seems that is a common problem with the 600 T, so it may not be the motherboard.

I was under the impression he was just using it for a sound reference, not that he has that case.

OP, create a signature like the one I have so we can see your components.

I was under the impression he was just using it for a sound reference, not that he has that case.

OP, create a signature like the one I have so we can see your components.
Gotya Atmin, I assumed that the op had the 600T because of the video. Guess well see and you know what happens when one assumes. :D

Yes i am using old Cooler Master Centurion 590 without side panel now.
My mobo is Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2. When my pc is heating up i can hear a cracking noise ( ticking )from motherboard ( VRM section). And when i quitting games the same noise for a few seconds. Is this something to worry ?

This movie is not mine, it just only demonstrating noise what i am talking about in my situation.

Yes i am using old Cooler Master Centurion 590 without side panel now.
My mobo is Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2. When my pc is heating up i can hear a cracking noise ( ticking )from motherboard ( VRM section). And when i quitting games the same noise for a few seconds. Is this something to worry ?

This movie is not mine, it just only demonstrating noise what i am talking about in my situation.

GO TRY WHAT I SUGGESTED IN THE SECOND POST AND REPORT BACK, THANKS

The problem with the video is it is from someone else. The sound may be the same but we can't here where it may be coming from unless a video of your setup is posted. Try doing what Atminside suggested please.

There's a difference in clicking (which I would think would be electrical discharge) and the PCB/metal expansion and contraction due to heat. Not trying to freak you out, but that noise in the video sounds like static discharge, not metals and plastics expanding and contracting at different rates type of noise.

I would do what ATM suggested earlier and loosen and then re-tighten the VRM heatsinks to eliminate the one of the possibilities.

Soft creaking sounds coming from mobo\cpu area.

Intermittently, there will be a sound coming from inside the computer that sounds like a slight creak, not high pitched but sort of like when you step on a wooden floorboard. This usually happens as the system is coming out of load or going into load. I wouldn't be that worried about it normally, but since it hasn't happened before I'm wondering what could be causing it.
Noise is coming from near cpu fan.
Could the motherboard or cpu fan be "warping" from the heat? Is this normal?

Edit: A more akin comparison might be to a car that has just turned off, and the engine makes kind of sporadic ticking noises as it cools off. Just wondering if computers could make this noise as well (but not as loud).

my pc is:
Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2
8gb ram
Corsair 750 RM
Inno IChill 980 Ti ultra 3x

Sew, I merged your duplicate threads... :mad:. This is your last warning before staff action will take place (this is not the first or 5th time, and you have been warned more than once). Please refrain from creating duplicate threads. You also need to respond to those trying to help like you are actually paying attention to what people are writing to you.

You were asked in your original thread, twice, to try what ATIMINSIDE asked for you to do. Have you had a chance to do that yet?

Last edited:
Sew, I merged your duplicate threads... :mad:. This is your last warning before staff action will take place (this is not the first or 5th time, and you have been warned more than once). Please refrain from creating duplicate threads. You also need to respond to those trying to help like you are actually paying attention to what people are writing to you.

You were asked in your original thread, twice, to try what ATIMINSIDE asked for you to do. Have you had a chance to do that yet?

This +100.

Just in case you missed it.

Don't mind me, I'll just reference every time he's been told to try what I told him real quick.

It's the heatsink popping a little.
Loosen and re-tighten the screws, see if it quits.

I told you how to attempt to stop the popping.
Try it, then report back.

Sew - did you try what ATM said?

Try doing what Atminside suggested please.

I would do what ATM suggested earlier and loosen and then re-tighten the VRM heatsinks to eliminate the one of the possibilities.

Wow, 8 times... And still nothing...

Back