• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel announces new memory, XPoint

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
that's pretty nuts. it sounds like they basically want to use a super fast ssd as ram for the cpu. could be amazing.

General info about this new memory and some of similar slides but presented by Micron we could see 2 or 3 years ago ( I don't remember exactly when ). With current delays in everything I wouldn't expect it quick on the market. Tbh I wish to see it later but well tested , not like every new Intel chipset series with design flaws.

I would like this in a solid state drive. Vastly improved data integrity over time would be a relief, after the samsung tlc excitement. And the extra speed won't hurt, either :thup:

Looks like Micron is focusing on that new memory type and is pushing Intel to release chipsets faster. In DDR4 they released only "standard" memory series and looks like they see no point to invest in DDR4 more.

Hey guys, I can offer some information on this topic if people are interested. My masters was based off similar non-volatile memory called memirstors. Intel uses something very similar and so will others.

Robert's post is the best I've read that gives a very high level description of Intel's Xpoint and what other companies are bringing to the table.

This looks like vary cool technology. 3D XPonit is 1000x faster than Nand and only 500x slower than DRAM, also the 3D XPoint life is not significantly effected by it's write cycle.

Cool vid, thanks for sharing.

Now that RAM is getting so cheap, I'm sure all of us have wondered: at what point will we just convert RAM memory to permanent storage?

I guess we're on the cusp of that crossroad.

Just read this article at Tom's regarding an upcoming product from Micron under the QuantX brand name. There's a little more detail about how this technology works and ends with a note about more info forthcoming next week at IDF.

Back