• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

maintaining the system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thick8

Well now that my system is up and running I want to keep it clean.
I first flushed my geo-loop with a mix of distilled water and white vinegar. Then flushed it with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and 91% rubbing alcohol. Once I had it all together I filled the system with pure distilled water.
I was considering an algaecide but have been reading about using silver. I have a bunch of .999% silver bars and was thinking about just cutting a piece off of one of them and dropping it in the reservoir. Thoughts?
John

EDIT: The Monsoon fittings description states: "The barb (or base since it doesn't actually slide into the tube), features antimicrobial silver for performance enthusiasts who want the maximum thermal cooling power of Distilled or Deionized water without “gunk” build up". Is this just a gimmick or should I not worry about algae with these fittings?

Last edited:
One more question. I'm using a copper "radiator", copper blocks, and copper fittings. Do I need any type of corrosion inhibitor?

just some silver and you should be good to go, distilled + silver was all i used for years, havent ever had any growth.

Take a bit and hammer it into shape. You want surface area. The res is a nice place for it as is tubing if you do it right. Google watercooling silver coils. The Monsoon fittings do have silver on the inside, it's just a plating, probably not .999. I ran Petras PHN nuke biocide and silver for years. Never had an issue with growth.

You can see a killcoil in the tubing to the left.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg49/Conumdrum_2007/PCrebuild 060311/IMG_0884.jpg

Get it in there soon, you shoulda had it in right away, once stuff starts growing it's hard to stop, like algae in a pool in Vegas.

Back