• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Software to Play 5.1 SACDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

I have some SACDs I bought to play on my Fat Boy PS3. I sold that not long ago to buy a PS4, but the PS4 won't play CDs or SACDs. I am wondering if I should buy another ($100-130), or if there is some type of Windows or Linux software that can properly decode and play the 5.1 signal straight from the disk? Or rip it?

As long as the software is cheaper than buying the PS3 again, I'd prefer to use the PC. I'm also not against purchasing a sound card, if it includes a software suite that can decode SACDs.

Last edited:
Of note, not all PS3s can play SACD files I believe.

I discussed this with a former coworker that was very into music and the only thing he found was using a PS3 was the best way to do this. Apparently Fubar has plugins but I don't think it does the full surround.

A 5 page discussion about it here:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sacd-dvda-ripping.218488/

There are ways to rip, but it would likely still be somewhat expensive.

Ya, only the fat PS3s (original 20GB and 60GB, and the 80GB model released with MGS4) play SACDs. Same ones that can play PS2 and PS1 games. Picking the right PS3 for all of your purposes can be a pain, with all the different models and firmwares.

Thanks for your input.

Back