• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would a new rig be much of an improvement?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bossman150

Specs of current rig in signature. Is it time to build a new rig? My middle son will turn 10 soon and its getting close to time for him to need his own PC. I won't build a new one for him, but I could build a new one for me and give him my old one :p . Anyway I asked about 18 months or so ago and the consensus was the building a new PC would not give me enough of an upgrade to justify the new build. I have started gaming a bit again, finally have a bit of time. I am not playing anything that needs anything more, but just curious as to what is out there now. Say budget of 1-1.2k sans GPU, I would probably keep my HD7950 for another few months and put an older card in my current rig. The plan would be though to add a new mid range GPU after Christmas.

Edit: Also I would use the 1tb SSD for the new build as well, so an SSD does not need included.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Honestly, there hasn't been a big increase on CPU power since the 2500k. 15% maybe at the same clock speed and your 2500k is highly overclocked as it is. Not much to gain CPU wise. Your video card is getting long in the tooth, however and there has been significant advancement since the Radeon 7950. Look at the Nvidia 970. Going for around $300.

If what you want to do is build a new system so you can hand the old one down, and your budget sans SSD and GPU is $1k-$1.2k, I would think about X99 in your situation.

I would start here, and pick out a case.

That or wait 2 weeks for Skylake to see what the prices will be.

Thanks guys. I am in no hurry so I will at least wait for the Skylake processors. I might even just upgrade the GPU and keep my HD7950 for later use when I do end up building a new system to put in my current one. It's just mind blowing to me that I built this almost 4 years ago with just a GPU upgrade it's still relevant. Things have changed for sure, but its nice having a relevant system for so long.

Back