• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old board, strange issue with vcore..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChewbacCabra

new to the forum, been using for years, never joined, happy to be here now..

I have a strange issue with an old LGA775 board. It's my older board and I was setting it up to connect to living room and maybe stream games from main rig to TV, but ran into weird problem.

It is a MSI g33m or ms-7357 ver 1.0. I have overclocked my old q6600 and q9650 with this board for years with no problems, however, recently I have an issue with vcore. I want to leave it at stock speeds, maybe overclock on the fsb and leave vcore alone, but the vcore is increasing itself in the bios. I don't mean in the monitoring section, I mean the actual setting is changing. If I clear cmos, the vcore jumps from 1.23(stock) to 1.5v on its own. From there, I can reset bios defaults and save and it will be back at stock 1.23v. If I increase the vcore at all or fully reboot the PC, the next time the bios loads it displays 1.5v as vcore. Also, of course when the vcore is 1.5v in the bios, I get bsod related to power kernel issue, because of high vcore.

I have reflashed bios and tried new cpu, ram, and power supply.

I'm just guessing the old 775 has died for good. Any thoughts as to what's actually causing it? I'm handy with a solderer and can replace bad caps/parts, if anybody can point me in that direction.

Sorry for a post on such a long post on an old board, I just really wanted that PC in the living room, lol.

Thanks

Have you updated the bios in past. If you don't reset bios to default before flashing, it will cause some strange issues.
Same goes for new install of windows. If you try oc'ing before installing drivers, especially intel ME, you will have problems.

If you don't reset bios to default before flashing, it will cause some strange issues.
Same goes for new install of windows. If you try oc'ing before installing drivers, especially intel ME, you will have problems.
Everything right here is an untruth.

I have had that 'untruth' happen to me in the past. Likely because my overclock was not as stable as it should have been, but, it has happened.

It is also recommended by the MFG to reset bios to stock before flashing...

:shrug:

It makes no difference if you flash while OC'ed as long as your stable. Is it smart?, no, but it doesn't "make funny things happen".
If you install your OS while OC'ed, that's fine too. As a matter of fact, you'll actually bench faster. Don't wanna believe me?, maybe ask Rgone then.
I assume you bench SPI, or have benched it before. You install no drivers and overclock for fastest times.
Now tell me where the untruths are.

Intel ME, I believe is required to use any windows based O/C software on modern platforms, no? Things like MSI Command Center and some of ASRock's will not work. I believe that is what he was referring to... not sure.

For Spi, you need GPU drivers and chipset last I checked for best results. Otherwise, correct. But this isn't under the guise of benchmarking, this is a 24/7 OS.

Things 'not sticking' in the bios was a symptom of installing a bios while overclocked for me... and this was back in the s775 days. That symptom can be many other things as well. It may not be the issue, but its free, quick, and worth a try. Regardless of if it was/wasn't flashed while overclocked or flashed at all, the bios is seemingly the cause and flashing it would be a good idea. Why not be safe? Sure beats being sorry. :)

That's fine. Everybody has there own methods. We can agree to disagree. No harm, no foul buddy. :)

EDIT- Maybe half truths would have been more appropriate.
And, I totally agree, flash that bios.

Recap the motherboard. I suspect bad caps with Vcore out of tolerance.
Can you explain how a recap would affect voltage settings being able to hold in the bios? I'm not quite sure how there is any association there...

Take it to PM if you care to continue on gents (scotty and hotrod). :escape:

Omg, thanks everyone for the advice. I am such a moron. I swear, I have worked on pc's for a long time and I am no noob.. I had the cmos battery in backwards. I guess this will cause problems during a flash and is why it kept resetting. I decided to check when I kept getting "cmos checksum bad" error. So sorry for the rookie mistake, thanks again.

Recap the motherboard. I suspect bad caps with Vcore out of tolerance.

A bit drastic for the eighth post in the thread...
If the board is powering on I wouldn't bother replacing caps unless they're bulging or leaking.

Looks like the OP solved it with flipping the CMOS battery, simple user error.

Back